Maxvision 24mm 82deg

Chris Hopson

Afternoon ladies and gents,

Well after reading the reviews on here, posted by your good selves of course! I decided to purchase the MV 24 82deg, to upgrade my BST 25mm for use in the C8.

The 40mm Aero is very much on the back burner now I've looked through the MV.

I took delivery of it the Friday before last from FLO, and had a very limited chance to try it this weekend. I fact that's an understatement, due on going issues with my friends refractor, long story!!

However I did get a few targets in on Friday before 8pm, probably not the best first light, or choice of objects, but never the less I am utterly astounded how good this EP is.

The double cluster was noticeably sharper across the entire FOV, compared to my 30mm Aero and by turning my head, I kept seeing more of it. Very unexpected on my part.

Andromeda, although too big to get it all in for this magnification, was very contrasty and again sharper than the Aero. I'm amazed how much more I get with 82deg vs 68deg Aero vs 60deg BST's.

Albireo displayed beautiful colours of blue and gold stars. I want to say pin sharp, but my pals 130mm

APO really is. My C8 is well collimated, but the MV has transformed the sharpness from the centre to outer edge, maybe up to 85%.

The ring was on the opposite side of being too low in magnification. I could only just discern the hole and the colour was less apparent than in my 18mm BST.

Well I said it was short and not ideal, but I'm so happy with this EP.

This ones a keeper.

Regards,

Chris

Nice report. I was looking at a 30mm Aero, but I think you may have just changed my mind.

The 30mm Aero is quite bright in a 200p, I originally bought it for mine. But then I tried a friends 24mm panoptic, much more contrasty being 24mm and the double cluster looked amazing. The MV is a bargain in my opinion and has a larger FOV.

I wonder if anybody else has used the 82deg

in their 200p?

Regards,

Chris

I had the 24mm Meade UWA which is the same eyepiece in a different skirt, It was a lovely eyepiece too but didn't see enough action with having Naglers and Ethos close to this.

I also had the 40mm Aero some time back and I found that very good and light for a 40mm SWA eyepiece. After the 40mm Meade Series 5000 SWA came along and was twice the weight.

Alan

I would expect it to be brighter with less mag, is it uncomfortably bright? Also, as it is less magnification, even with the less FOV it does yield a slightly larger TFOV than the maxvision, but you suggested that you seemed to get more out of it, maybe a better quality eyepiece just gives a better experience.

I'd shortlisted the Aero from reviews I'd read about the 40mm, but that would give far too large an exit pupil in my scope. So I thought about the 30mm thinking it would be of a similar quality, but I've since read that it isn't, so was looking out for an alternative. It sounds like you got sharper focus across more of the view.

Rockystar, it might depend on what you want to use the Aero for. I bought it when I had my 8" dob, specifically for wide field viewing, notwithstanding the double cluster. In my not so expert opinion, the 24mm 68deg did a better job of framing the double cluster and produced a nice contrasty image. I also used the Aero on the veil Nebula with a UHC filter, but I probably would of been better using a oiii filter instead to bring out more nebulosuity.

Sometimes I would point the dob to the zenith and just scan the stars. The Aero was great at that space walk view and is really comfortable too.

The Mv gives me around 84x with the C8, with the added advantage of a larger Fov.

I can't do a direct comparison as they are different beasts.

I'm still very much reliant on the expertise of the more experienced.

Please don't let me put you off, I'm convinced others on here will have a much better understanding than me and will be able to guide you to the best decision mate.:-)

Regards,

Chris

Interesting comparison.

I have the Maxvision 24mm 68 and have been pleasantly surprised how well it performs.

These eyepieces are the old Meade 5000 series SWA'a and UWA's which had a decent reputation but were originally rather expensive. At Maxvision prices they make much more sense :smiley:

I've owned a couple of the Aero ED's and they too are nice, a step up from the Panaview but not quite as good as the Maxvisions in terms of adge correction. If your scope is F/7 or slower they do well though.

It's all about how these eyepieces perform it the outer 25% or so of the field of view. These days, most eyepieces perform very well indeed on axis (ie: the central part of the FoV) and it's hard to separate the lower cost ones from the expensive ones in that respect.

Thanks guys. My scope is f/5, so quite fast, and my lowest current EP is 18mm (68 degrees), so I'm looking for a lower powered one for trying to get more of the Pleiades and Andromeda galaxy in the frame (not tried the veil, but I suspect that won't fit my 18 either, and the double cluster just about does, I think). And also for trying get a large for star hopping.

I've been promised a new Aero 30 for £74 when he has them in stock in Jan, so the cost trumps the Maxvision - otherwise I think they are about the same price. I've also been looking at the ES 82, 24mm or ES 68, 28mm

I have a pair of ES24 68s for binoviewing and an ES34 68 for low power Cyclops viewing. The 24s are excellent in the BV, they do vignette a little as the field stop is about 27mm versus 21mm aperture on the ep side of the Binoviewers, but the apparent view is still large: the widest true field, is amount of sky shown, is given by my Vixen 30mm plossls but with only a 52degree visible field..very nice in framing M31 in my 5" refractor though.

The 34mmES 68 is just a peach for wide field. I did have the 28mm 68 too, also very nice but the 34mm is better IMO. Its a big beast though and weighs a LOT more than the ES24. You can get the MV version of the 34mm and its a good bit cheaper than the ES version, though probably a similar weight. Great eyepieces for the money :-).

Dave

I wonder if anybody else has used the 82deg in their 200p?

Yep. :)

I wrote a review, or at least added my comments to someone else's review a while back, on this EP in the 200p.

I thought it was incredibly good value at £140, so now at £115 it really is a bargain!

No, it's not a £300 EP, so there is a little softness around the edge, but nothing that bothers me.

I seem to remember comparing it to the 25mm TV plossl, not in terms of FOV, but contrast.

I find the TV almost clinical with respect to contrast, the blacks are very black and the whites very white.

The MV shows more subtle variation, depth of colour and a warmth and vibrancy that is lost in the TV.

On the Double Cluster and the Orion Nebula for instance, the MV was a much pleasanter experience.

Obviously, there are objects for which you want the contrast that the TV gives.

These are my own personal experiences.

But, as I have now said many times before, I wouldn't own a 24mm 82° EP if it weren't for the MV.

Archived