Do i need to care about meridian flip?

I have a SW star adventurer and finally got to test it last night. Still waiting for a ballhead though, so no real "pics", just had to see i could do PA easily. But i have read that many AP-ers have to do a meridian flip. As far as i can se it's people with more advanced mounts like zeq25, atlas and so-on. So do they have to do it just because of wires wrapping around the mount and big counterweights hitting the legs or is there some other reason? I guess my real question is, do i have to do a meridian flip with the SW SA or can i drop it since i don't have either wires or counterweights hitting the tripod legs?

Dark Matter(s)

It is the scope itself (or the camera attached to it) that hits the tripod. I don't think that this is possible with a star adventurer though?

You can easily test if it is safe to go past the meridian by opening the RA clutch and manually moving through the full arc of RA and see if anything clashes. Be aware that different declinations will also effect it.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on there i find Polaris (really high) i don't think i need to worry then (will check of course). I only use a dslr, don't have a telescope, so i don't have large things on the mount that could hit anything

Archived