Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Free stuff for beginners?

michaelmorris

My local astronomical society are looking at developing a 'Welcome Pack' for new members.  Amongst other things, this will probably include observing advice, observing lists and a whole bunch of stuff about the society.  We'd love to be able to include a goody bag of cheap/useful stuff for the beginner but with rather limited funds, we just can't afford to splash out on anything expensive.

Can anyone suggest sources of free/ultra-cheap stuff that might be suitable? (We are already aware of the excellent FAS 'Stargazer’s Starter Guide To ...' guides)

Thanks

I have many astronomy books Michael, also a hundred weight of Sky at Night magazines, in pristine condition,  almost all running consecutively date wise, the CD Roms are also there.

They will be too heavy and expensive  to post, but if the need is still there when SGL11 comes around, I'll be happy to bring them to you if you are attending that meet.

Ron.

Michael -

There's a new thread (2 days ago) in SGL with links to a slew of free software-programs. I suggested it become a 'competitive-sport' to get folks to find the best! :p And here's the result thus far:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/256688-free-software/

Do check out the Mars screensaver I linked yesterday. It's really beautiful and would make a great 'WELCOME' gift.

Bon appetite,

Dave

There was a website that had a heap of cheaper gear Michael (UK based I think) but I didn't book mark it for some reason. I can't remember the name now but maybe another member has the link for you.

Also if you serach Ebay, there's cheap Celestron 4mm EP's on there for 5 pounds with free shipping plus other small telescope bits and pieces. You just have to search for them.

Ah yes - I nearly forgot this deal. How about some free E-Books on such things as Black Holes and Beginners Astrophotography, and a bunch more? You'll need to enter an email-account, but they don't check to see if it works. Go ahead - sign up that town-meeting members who wants to put new LED lights on every corner! :evil::icon_mrgreen:

Here you are:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/free-ebook-library/

It's from Sky & Telescope, one of the venerable US astronomy magazines.

Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks guys.

We've looked at planispheres, but the cheapest I've found so far are still >£6.  As membership of the society is only £18 a year, this is complete non-starter.  We';ve looked into the' print off your own planisphere' option, but it us likely to be too time consuming to put these together.  We may opt for a pre-laminated kit planisphere.

I like the idea of a piece of red film.

We're ideally after posters, pamphlets and DVDs.

Have you thought about contacting the importers eg Celstron as they tend to have freebies at shows.  Also some of the Universities, Faulkes Telescope etc, Liverpool John Moores has the School Observatory.

Helen

Usb stick with your logo or something printed on, containing windows and mac offerings... Stellarium, cdc, sharpcap, phd2 etc.

General free open source astro software.

It can have how to pdfs, weblinks etc.

Cheap and easy.

Archived