Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gopro cameras.

sexysi

In my other hobbies i use 2 x Gopro Hero 3 cameras. 

Is there any use in astrophotography for the little things.

Maybe as a guide camera or to do moon videos etc. They have got to be better than the standard cheap and cheerful, moon video cameras.

Seems a shame to spend out a couple of hundred quid on a guide camera, when I have two perfectly guide cameras that will film in 2.7k and take pictures of 12m pixels plus.

Cheers Si

I have a GoPro 3 black and use it for diving and Snowboarding. I believe the Gopro 4 is good for low light and can do night timelapse and star-trails etc, Sure I have seen an example a few months ago and it looked good. I am looking at getting rid of my Hero 3 Black and going to Hero 4 Silver, I will loose the 4K ability but will gain a live view screen and that will be more useful to me. No idea if it will be of any use as a guide cam, You would have to remove the lens to fit it to the guide scope, just gave mine a wee twist but I doesn't feel like It unscrews though I am not going to try forcing it.

You don't need to spend a couple of hundred on a gude cam though, some folk successfully use webcams, or a cheap cam can be had second hand for around the 100 quid mark give or take.

Archived