Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon d3100 remote control

sexysi

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,
There're programs with which you can control bulb exposures and other functions of a Nikon DSLR as : BackyardNikon, Control my Nikon, MaximDL and others but except your Nikon is one of latest models with direct USB bulb function, you will need a separate usb to serial bulb cable to enable long exposures from your PC which you can buy it => http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_ds.htmor you can make on of your own, just google "Nikon USB to serial bulb DIY" :smiley:

Watched the 2hr long video about the BackyardESO software last night.

It seemed to be that you can set up a lot of automatic 30 sec exposures, but there was no mention of longer exposures with the bulb setting.

I am making up my cable for remote exposures for the Nikon when it turns up, and i know, via the video above that you can download a separate program to take the longer frames, just wondered if the Backyard software supports this as well.

cheers si

sexysi, you and i are both in the same boat mate but for me the Live view would've been a plus but it's not the end of the world. Can still control camera using PC software called "digicamcontrol". I might not even bother going down the Canon route as long as my preferred object is in the FOV 

Great just found out that the Backyard Nikon doesn't support the Nikon d3100, something to do with no SDK available..... great.

si

Unfortunately the same applies to Controlmynikon for the same reason.

Nikon have not released an SDK for the D3100... or any of the D3000 - D3300 family which makes 3rd party software control very unlikely.

'Digicamcontrol' does not fully control the D3000 series either especially for Live view and Bulb modes.

This does not leave many options available for those Nikon camera's.

Software control of the shutter for long exposure sequences, using the electronic release you have/are building, can be achieved using a free download 'DSLRshutter'.

http://www.stark-labs.com/page26/DSLR_Shutter.html

You will only have liveview focusing using the built in screen on the camera... which can, I believe, be zoomed in to get a better resolution.

Good luck.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

I think nikontrol 3k works with it as well.

Have you managed to get it to work on the digicamcontrol, just been looking at that.

I supposed if it is set right to start with and as you say it is in the FOV and being tracked, then i can leg it back in doors and set some shots taken....... fingers crossed.

si

I have experimented with digicamcontrol, Backyardnikon etc. I now own a Canon. But I do use my Nikon's for aurora etc, keep things simple, get something like this, cheap and does exactly what you would need it to do http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Lapse-Intervalometer-Remote-Timer-Shutter-for-Nikon-D3100-D3200-D90-D600-UK-/151634961824?hash=item234e25e5a0:g:nzEAAOSwqv9V6XaD

Unless I'm mistaken the intervalometer will only take shots after certain intervals but will not control for how long the shutter needs to remain open or have I got it all wrong? I mean you can manually take the shots using it but it won't be linked to the timer function

Sorry happy-kat would you mind explaining this a bit for us nooks a little more? Put the camera in manual mode, crank the dial up to 30 seconds shutter and then crank it a little further to bring it to Bulb mode. Now how do we control the shutter timer for it to remain open for say 2 minute exposure each time between the shots using intervalometer?

Archived