SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Dob Focuser

MattJenko

This really is the hidden forum :lipsrsealed:

After a long wait, my Dob has been upgraded in no uncertain terms. The clouds look to be clearing this weekend, so hope to give it a star test very soon. Have played with collimation a fair bit and am hoping all is spot on. The Moonlite is significantly more robust and slop-free than the original stock focuser, and everything just feels better. Any movement is now going to be down to the tube flexing or the spider vanes, the focuser is rock solid. Happy days.

gallery_37194_3274_39551.jpg

I think I'll be doing likewise over the next couple of years. Either Moonlite or the Baader Diamond. I cannot justify the cost of Feather Touch although they are certainly even better still. Just the four to upgrade for me!

I was lucky to find a couple of used ones for around the price of one new one.

Looks very nice. I think I will do this mod too.

I've been a bit sceptical of high end focusers in the past and have managed quite well with some rather ordinary ones for many years. Having taken the plunge now on the Moonlites I have to say that I'm not regretting the costs at all. They are a pleasure to use :smiley:

Thanks all. Managed to get out under the stars for a while last night, and the best thing I can say about my Moonlite is that it simply works. Once darkness falls and the shiny red and indestructible look vanishes in the darkness you are left with something that is easy to find with your hands, and is really very very smooth and precise. Like all the best tools, it just disappears after a while, you forget it is there as you concentrate on what you are seeing, not on trying to see it. My collimation was close, a star test was slightly out, but not enough for me to fiddle. It was windy, so views were a little bouncy anyway.

All in all, I am very happy with it. I have a plan for my 250px which involves an AzEQ6 next year to give me flexibility with a Dob option, a guided Alt Az option for lazy viewing and outreach and a long focal length galaxy option for imaging. This focuser looks like it is the one for me to make that happen. It is expensive in proportion to the scope cost, but now it is fitted, I don't care!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr Fiery Jack said:

Moonlights are lovely. I had one on an ED100, a utter joy to use and own. I really should have never sold that scope :sad2:

Nice avatar Mr Fiery Jack. Another major Fall fan here. In fact Fiery Jack was the first Fall record I bought. 38 years and 40 odd albums later, they provide almost as much pleasure as astronomy. Sorry to hijack the thread.

8 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Nice avatar Mr Fiery Jack. Another major Fall fan here. In fact Fiery Jack was the first Fall record I bought. 38 years and 40 odd albums later, they provide almost as much pleasure as astronomy. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Er same as that, fan since 81, first gig Deeply Vale in 79, Seen them a million times! I am from Macclesfield originally so your avatar means much to me, My cousin lives in the house next door to where Ian lived (and died) Although I was only on nodding terms with him but he was in the same class as some of my mates, I feel I know him better than I did.

Anyway back to the astronomy Moonlights are fantastic and make an ordinary scope into something a bit special. In a world of mass produced items its nice to be able to customise your gear and make it unique to yourself. I have has Baader Steeltracks in the past, very good too but not in the same league as Moonlights. Only had a little twiddle with Feathertouch, never owned one myself but the quality shines through, tad expensive mind.

Archived