Celestron orange paint

Maggie McG

Hello from Scottish Borders. I am a new member and have found some very useful discussions on this forum already wrt to how to align the Celestron NexStar SE 8. I will come back to that as I have only had one attempt and I think I was not using a large enough area of sky. It told me I was successful but seemed to be searching in the polar opposite part of the sky..

I love my new scope but was heartbroken from the get go because the tube flew off the fork arm because I obviously failed to attach it properly. I caught it before it landed but not before it acquired some horrid long scratches

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paint shops , Halfords and others should be able to match the colour but I thought that the Orange was metallic or similar - I doubt that it is a translucent paint like the Candy Paints. After getting the right colour comes getting the paint on and the finish, I would say you will have to have the scratch filled then the area smoothed and after that the paint applied and I would say that the application would be best applied by an air brush.

To get a good final result I would expect it to be a little more involved then a trip to a paint supplier/matcher.

Hello Maggie and welcome to SGL. The 8se is vulnerable to this sort of accident, nearly happened to me on a couple of occasions!. The scratches will have no impact on its performance and I would not bother to try and repair the damage unless or until I wished to sell it. As already mentioned, to do the job properly would need a complete respray which would require the removal of the optics, this could lead to much more problems.  :smiley:

I would echo Peters comments about a total strip down to respray. Not something I would like to contemplate on a SCT unless it was absolutely necessary. You might try coloured car polish sold for the purpose of disguising scratches on your paint work.

Hi Maggie and welcome to the lounge, I don't think I would try to repaint the scratch and certainly not the whole tube it would in all probability not be a successful job, car body polish is the best bet or those scratch hiding pens, as Dave said character, much loved and well used.

Thank-you so much everyone! I think I will in that case just try the car polish option. It is just such a horrid reminder of how stupid I was. On that other hand I take all sorts of precautions against dropping it on the ground now.

I love this forum and expect to have a million more queries about the Celestron once the skies are properly clear again.

Back later!

Maggie

Hi Maggie and welcome to SGL, I know how you feel about the damage to the paintwork to your scope, best to put it to the back of your mind though, if you can and come to terms with using and familiarising yourself with the scope and mount.

Sometime down the line you will be much more conversant with the equipment you have, now is the time to get to know who your friends are, someone to help with a re-spray. Paint mixed to the colour to match, can be obtained, but the scope will need to be disassembled, so the tube can be dealt with on its own, anybody involved with the refinishing of such as car bodywork, should be able to bring the scope tube back to its original condition for you. You will have to have the knowledge or help to carry out the re-assembly and collimation once the repaint has been done, enjoy the forum :) 

Just to say again a big thank-you for all the 'welcome' notes and the highly consistent advice re scratches. Just protect for now with polish with a view to a proper re-spray much further down the line. It has left a bit of a dent in my elation at the new scope, but I am sure I will get over that in time. And hopefully  learn from it...

Best from the Borderlands...

If you are thinking about painting it at some point in the future - make sure you don't use a polish with any silicone in it for 3 main reasons

1. You will never get paint to stick properly without a lot of work

2. It goes everywhere and may get on your optics - VERY difficult to remove

3. A polished slippery surface is more likely to be dropped (again!) when its covered in dew

Always happy to share bitter experience !!!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Archived