SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron15x70 - Condensation

mfrymus

I got these binos last week, but only got once change to use them so far. Weathers been poop.

That time I used it, I got a lot of condensation on it after use.

I know that going from cold to warm conditions inside my house can cause condensation, but is that bad for these binoculars?

Should it even be happening?

Yep. Condensation is one of the astronomers curses. But it won't harm your binos. Let the air gat to them and they will dry naturally. I generally put the lens caps on before coming inside. This stops the worst of it whilst they warm up and then give them an airing in the morning.

Hope that the views were good.

Paul

In addition to what Paul said: external condensation is not problematic; just leave the binocular to dry naturally. Internal condensation is altogether a different matter. The Celestron Skymasters are not waterproof, so it is inevitable that some moisture (usually a tiny amount) will get inside; the deterioration is slow (usually years), but it can allow algae and/or fungi to grow inside. For this reason, it is a good idea to let your binoculars continue to dry out after the external condensation has evaporated and to make sure there is an active dessicant sachet in their case. They can never be too dry!

Archived