Hello from Essex, UK

Scubacrazy

Hi all.

I'm Gary, and I live in Hornchurch, Essex, right on the edge of London.

(Until I move to Cornwall sometime in the next couple of years)

My interest is photography, and it's the main reason I am here on this site, to learn as much as I can about photographing the night sky, and night landscapes.

I don't have a telescope, but I do have some good camera gear.

Keen to hear from anyone else on the subject, especially anyone in Essex or nearby, for hints on where to go around here where I can find reasonably dark skies. Obviously there are no dark skies around here, locally at least, so I do realise I will need to travel a bit to satisfy my needs !!

Anyway, I'm off for a good browse around, and then the questions will start !!

Cheers,

Gary.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings from Maldon, Essex - If you're interested in Astrophotography, get a DSLR (Canon EOS's are quite cheap these days on eBay - or anything that can take long exposures) and a sturdy tripod and your good to go (with a little research, trial and error)

I'm not sure about dark sites in and around Hornchurch/Romford (lived there for 15 years) but I know there are nice dark sites in Cornwall though :)

Enjoy

Hello from Elm Park! Not far from yourself. You may have heard of Havering Astronomical Society (link in my signature). Not much dark skies round here but the society do go to South Weald Park occasionally for observing which is a little bit darker. I go to Suffolk for some really dark skies, a couple of hours drive up the A12.

Hi Gary, a warm welcome from Cornwall. :smiley: 

You'll find your other interests are well catered for down here too,  there are a few diving shops catering PADI courses, supplies etc [ at least 2 diving shops within 2-3 miles where i live] as well as some beautiful waters. Afraid i don't dive myself, not that i would love to, also we have our local University that runs media degree courses, an art college in Falmouth, with more than a few galleries throughout Cornwall.  :grin:  Welcome to the forum.

all the very best Bill

Hello Gary and welcome to SGL!!

Thank you for the welcome.

Greetings from Maldon, Essex - If you're interested in Astrophotography, get a DSLR (Canon EOS's are quite cheap these days on eBay - or anything that can take long exposures) and a sturdy tripod and your good to go (with a little research, trial and error)

I'm not sure about dark sites in and around Hornchurch/Romford (lived there for 15 years) but I know there are nice dark sites in Cornwall though :)

Enjoy

And greetings back !

I already have a full Nikon setup (D700 and around 10 pro lenses) so I'm good to go on that front. I was a medical photographer for years, so I know my way round a camera, but not at night pointing it towards the heavens! Portraiture is my thing normally. I'm about to order a 14mm f2.8 just for this purpose though.

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum

Clear skies

Thanks for the welcome.

hi and welcome

Thanks for the welcome.

Hello from Elm Park! Not far from yourself. You may have heard of Havering Astronomical Society (link in my signature). Not much dark skies round here but the society do go to South Weald Park occasionally for observing which is a little bit darker. I go to Suffolk for some really dark skies, a couple of hours drive up the A12.

Hi, almost neighbours in fact!

Quite happy going to Suffolk or Norfolk, or anywhere really. Looking forward to it.

Hi Gary, a warm welcome from Cornwall. :smiley:

You'll find your other interests are well catered for down here too,  there are a few diving shops catering PADI courses, supplies etc [ at least 2 diving shops within 2-3 miles where i live] as well as some beautiful waters. Afraid i don't dive myself, not that i would love to, also we have our local University that runs media degree courses, an art college in Falmouth, with more than a few galleries throughout Cornwall.  :grin:  Welcome to the forum.

all the very best Bill

Thanks for the welcome. My parents live in Hayle, so we get down 3 or 4 times a year. I do indeed dive Cornwall, and it's extremely good diving too.

HI Gary and welcome to SGL, enjoy the forum :)

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I will enjoy it !

And it won't get better!

Welcome Gary

That's what normally happens with pastimes I choose. One day I'll choose something simpler, like quantum physics or something!

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome from North Kent, I'm new here as well  :evil:

Si

Thanks for the welcome.

If I missed anyone's welcome, sorry.

Archived