Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

AndyKeogh

Hitec Astro EQDIR software driver version

For a long time now I have been using the Prolific driver installer v10518 from the HitecAstro site on my windows 7 computer.

Recently I have been getting a lot of overnight crashes and lost a lot of imaging time.  An analysis of last night's crash pointed to the Prolific driver.  MS today offered me a new driver V3.6.81.357  to replace v3.3.5.122.

First signs are that it works... well I can move the mount.

My question to the group is in 2 parts:-

1) Is this new driver reliable?

2) Is this now the time to find a new more reliable EQDIR interface and if so what  recommendations can you offer.

TIA

Andy

Edited by AndyKeogh

Bit confused. If the prolific driver is v10518, what driver is being updated from v3.3 to v3.6?

Apologies. Looks like I was getting my driver versions and installer versions mixed up!

I recently installed the driver set from Hitec site and not had any issues as yet but I'll have to confirm what driver version I'm on.

Not aware of any better method. You could use the handset in PC direct mode but would still need drivers to assign the com ports for the connection.

This is the latest driver, well it worked with my firmware handset upgrades....

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

Thanks I will have a look at this and check which chipset HitecAstro have used.

I note that the Prolific driver you have linked to does not support Windows 8,8.1 or 10. Begs the question as to which interface one needs for those OSs

Andy

I am running W10 and wasn't aware that a MS W10 update in its infinite wisdom will replace the Prolific driver v10518 (which does work with W10) with something it thinks is better - except that it doesnt work !

Find your prolific driver in Device manager and protect it from auto updates.

Thanks I will have a look at this and check which chipset HitecAstro have used.

I note that the Prolific driver you have linked to does not support Windows 8,8.1 or 10. Begs the question as to which interface one needs for those OSs

Andy

I have run the chip set program and the chip in my EQDIR module is a PL-2303H.  Is this the same chip version that you Tinker1947, Skipper Billy and r3i are using?

Amdy

I contacted Hitecastro support  when I was struggling to get mine to work with Win 10. I received an email which included "There is an old chipset which we have long since discontinued which will not work with windows 8 and upwards under any circumstances."  Anyway, I have got my Prolific cables working, mostly - sometimes I have to roll back the driver again.

I'd like to know how to protect an individual driver from update -  as far as I can see it is all updates across the computer (?)

Allan

Thanks, Skipper,

I have used these instruction sets via FLO's site several times. My understanding is that when you select "Never Install driver software..." that applies to all devices, not just the Prolific driver. Am I wrong here?

I have run the chip set program and the chip in my EQDIR module is a PL-2303H.  Is this the same chip version that you Tinker1947, Skipper Billy and r3i are using?

Amdy

I've run the checker on my kit and it also reports that it is a PL-2303H chip.

Thanks Mike that is good to know.

I have run 2 overnight tests since I upgraded to the MS updated driver and it has not crashed.

Though Nebulosity has had some problems. Maybe the 12v hub that has taken the place of the mains driven netgear usb hub has changed the dynamics.

I plan to run some more tests this week with different usb cables and a simplified setup to see if I can get a clean 14 hour run without incidents.

Andy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By morayskies
      Hi All
      Has anybody else had this problem?
      I use a single, ageing laptop (HP620 8Gb RAM) running Windows 7 Pro 64bit to control my imaging setup using the following software;
      Cartes du Ciel and EQMOD to control EQ5 Pro mount via EQDIRECT cable connected via powered USB Hub
      BackyardEOS to capture images from Canon 450D via same USB powered hub
      PHD2 for guiding using GP-CAM 130C and EQMOD pulse guiding
      What confuses me is that some evenings everything works absolutely fine.  Another evening, using exactly the same hardware, software and even connections (ie I always plug the leads into the same ports) the system will be working fine but then suddenly fail.  The failure affects EQMOD indicating a timeout or port not available issue and the Canon 450D also 'locks' requiring a restart of the camera and BackyardEOS.
      I have run USBTree during such a failure and it is showing that the EQDIRECT cable (ie serial converter) is still connected to COM4 (which is correct) and the Canon 450D is also still connected.  I basically have to ensure that all the software is closed and any associated services also stopped.  Of course, the scope is now pointing away from its home position so I have to move it manually back to 'home' before starting again.
      My thoughts are that there could be a number of issues;
      1. Use of a USB hub
      2. A dodgy EQDIRECT cable
      3. USB cables too long (ie about 5m)
      4. Windows is turning off a connection (I have set the power management for each USB port to 'off')
      5. Canon 450D somehow 'freezing'

When using this laptop, I turn off the Wifi and Anti Virus and Automatic Updates are also off.
      It just baffles me that sometimes this system works flawlessly for hours and yet other nights it keeps failing.
      Any suggestions gratefully received.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By adyj1
      Hi
      I'd like to make my own FTDI EQDIR USB Adapter for my new(to me) AZ GTi  mount... 
      Does anyone know what the pinouts for the rj12 connector are? The 8-pin RJ45 connections are well documented, but I can't find a 6-pin RJ12 wiring diagram...
      Lynx astro do make one, so I know it is possible ? 
      Thanks
      Ady

• By Demonperformer
      I am at a complete loss to understand why eqmod was not syncing on CdC last night. I have had a look at this video, I had the star centred on the screen [3m33s], I pressed sync on CdC, I got the dialog box [3m39s], I clicked 'yes' and NOTHING happened: the white circle stayed where it was, no sync points were added to EQMOD, zilch!
      I can get round most problems, but this really one stymies my GOTOs and, therefore, my imaging process.
      I have been unable to find anything in the EQMOD documentation that deals with such an error and a search on here has turned up no help (but that always depends on the words put into the search!). I checked all the obvious things (location, date/time, etc - but why any of these should stop sync working is beyond me). It's all running on Windoze 10.
      Any suggestions on why this should have stopped working and (more importantly) how I might get it working?
      Thanks.
    • By Demonperformer
      Setting up all the software on my win10 laptop and getting things to talk to one another is a nightmare.
      I'm starting a new thread, so I can post all the problems I am having, one at a time, so issues don't get confused. This will also hopefully help anyone coming to similar situations later, as the problems and answers will not be interlaced.
      First issue: APT does not detect ZWO camera.
      I have got the camera (ZWO) drivers installed and sharpcap can see it and will connect to it properly. However, when I try to connect the camera in APT, the only CCD options it gives me are SBIG (which it isn't), QSI (which it isn't) and ASCOM. Now it shouldn't need to use an ascom driver, because the proper driver is installed, but I give it a go anyway, and this just offers me 2 simulators and 3 QHY cameras (I have one qhy driver installed for the guidecam .... I'll get to that later!). I have disconnected both the filterwheel and guide camera from the camera hub, so they cannot be interefering with the process.
      I am at a total loss ... any suggestions?
      Thanks.
    • By RolandKol
      Hi guys,
      I been googling a lot and was not able to find a solution how to connect EQMOD to the Mount via SW Wifi Dongle...
      it looks like EQMOD needs COM Port to be used....
      I do remember there was some kind of "Virtual Com port bridge to Wifi"app back in Win98 days... But I cannot find anything similar for Win10.
      I want to test EQMOD auto-guiding via WIFI, - I know, it's not reliable, but I want to try
      as I have Skywatcher wifi dongle and my USB to Serial (RS-232) Converter Cable is wayyyy too short to keep my PC (and me) in warm.
      I am able to connect with SynScanPro app to Wifi Dongle and even sync it with Stellarium nicely... 
      Only Auto-guiding missing...
      Any ideas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.