Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hitec Astro EQDIR software driver version

AndyKeogh

For a long time now I have been using the Prolific driver installer v10518 from the HitecAstro site on my windows 7 computer.

Recently I have been getting a lot of overnight crashes and lost a lot of imaging time.  An analysis of last night's crash pointed to the Prolific driver.  MS today offered me a new driver V3.6.81.357  to replace v3.3.5.122.

First signs are that it works... well I can move the mount.

My question to the group is in 2 parts:-

1) Is this new driver reliable?

2) Is this now the time to find a new more reliable EQDIR interface and if so what  recommendations can you offer.

TIA

Andy

Edited by AndyKeogh

Apologies. Looks like I was getting my driver versions and installer versions mixed up!

I recently installed the driver set from Hitec site and not had any issues as yet but I'll have to confirm what driver version I'm on.

Not aware of any better method. You could use the handset in PC direct mode but would still need drivers to assign the com ports for the connection.

This is the latest driver, well it worked with my firmware handset upgrades....

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

Thanks I will have a look at this and check which chipset HitecAstro have used.

I note that the Prolific driver you have linked to does not support Windows 8,8.1 or 10. Begs the question as to which interface one needs for those OSs

Andy

I am running W10 and wasn't aware that a MS W10 update in its infinite wisdom will replace the Prolific driver v10518 (which does work with W10) with something it thinks is better - except that it doesnt work !

Find your prolific driver in Device manager and protect it from auto updates.

Thanks I will have a look at this and check which chipset HitecAstro have used.

I note that the Prolific driver you have linked to does not support Windows 8,8.1 or 10. Begs the question as to which interface one needs for those OSs

Andy

I have run the chip set program and the chip in my EQDIR module is a PL-2303H.  Is this the same chip version that you Tinker1947, Skipper Billy and r3i are using?

Amdy

I contacted Hitecastro support  when I was struggling to get mine to work with Win 10. I received an email which included "There is an old chipset which we have long since discontinued which will not work with windows 8 and upwards under any circumstances."  Anyway, I have got my Prolific cables working, mostly - sometimes I have to roll back the driver again.

I'd like to know how to protect an individual driver from update -  as far as I can see it is all updates across the computer (?)

Allan

Thanks, Skipper,

I have used these instruction sets via FLO's site several times. My understanding is that when you select "Never Install driver software..." that applies to all devices, not just the Prolific driver. Am I wrong here?

I have run the chip set program and the chip in my EQDIR module is a PL-2303H.  Is this the same chip version that you Tinker1947, Skipper Billy and r3i are using?

Amdy

I've run the checker on my kit and it also reports that it is a PL-2303H chip.

Thanks Mike that is good to know.

I have run 2 overnight tests since I upgraded to the MS updated driver and it has not crashed.

Though Nebulosity has had some problems. Maybe the 12v hub that has taken the place of the mains driven netgear usb hub has changed the dynamics.

I plan to run some more tests this week with different usb cables and a simplified setup to see if I can get a clean 14 hour run without incidents.

Andy

• 4 years later...
On 06/10/2020 at 10:02, Dinoboy said:

I have an AVX mount and a Hitech Astro cable to enable me to control my mount from the laptop using Stellarium, could someone please tell me which driver I need. Thank you in advance. Cheers 

You need to provide more details about your hitech Astro cable.   It is a long time since I controlled my C8 using the Avx predecessor the CG5-AS-GT. My recollection is that it used an RS232 interface and Celestron had its own app to control the mount.  I also had a USB to RS232 adapter  as most computers stopped supplying a native RS232 interface.

What OS are you running Stellarium on?

Andy

Hi Andy, my operating system is windows 10 and my laptop is a Dell 1500. I plug the cable directly into the hc port on the mount with the other end into my laptop. I have tried the cable ( RS232) that fits into the bottom of the hc which connects into an adapter that fits into a USB port and it works fine but with the Hitech Astro cable nothing. I have downloaded several drivers. It has never worked since the day I got it, I think it must be drivers. I check which com port then put that into Stellarium. Could it be some setting I need to do or is it a driver thing?

Can you upload a picture of your cable please.

Hitec Astro used to use Prolific chips and some were unsupported by W10

So the consensus was to use the FTDI 232R chipset .   So the question is what chipset does your cable use?

If you look in device manager at the port devices and then plug your cable in  how does it identify your cable?

If you right click on the description and select properties  Details tab what values are listed?

This image is for my Hitec Astro EQDIR cable.

COM 3 proerty hardware id.JPG

A little later I plugged in my FTDI cable by which time W10 had updated the status to my COM3 to PHASED OUT since 2012 but in the screen below you can see the id for the FTDI chip (COM4).   This does not need any driver loaded as it appears to be directly supported in W10.

W10 COM 3 & 4 property hardware id.JPG

Edited by AndyKeogh
expand on detail

Hi Andy just finished taking images Etc. When I plug in my cable it is not shown, I did step by step as you suggested and below are two images, one of the cable and the other is after double clicking on ‘ports’ in device manager. Any ideas?

F03CC33B-66C2-490B-94C5-2260663DE9B9.jpeg

3345F258-9EC7-410F-BE9F-A08EACEBFE60.jpeg

OK the property box is a drop down. Could you select hardware ID rather than description and take another image please. I can see from your cable image that it is an FTDI chipset. Need the hardware ID to confirm that That is what w10 recognised it as.

Does com6  only appear after you plug the cable in? If so can you also screenshot  the driver tab as well.

TIA

Andy

Hi Andy, unless I plug in the cable First there is no port identified. I have taken a couple more images, you can tell I am not a computer expert or anything near, I hit the update latest drivers in the relevant window just to make sure.thanks for your help..

BBF61609-9F7A-4C40-92D6-7435D33BA662.jpeg

5D538311-5D72-4006-82B9-78A9490421D4.jpeg

OK it seems the cable is being recognised and windows is using an FTDI driver. So it should work.

The question now is what is different between this cable and the others which have worked?

I have had a quick look at the stellarium user guide and it would appear that you tell it to use com 6,

I do not use stellarium so that is the limit of how I can help.

Have you had Stellarium actually controlling you scope with another cable?

Andy

Yes Stellarium works with the mount but only if I use the rs232 cable and adapter. I always check which com port and put that into the configuration in Stellarium . I plug the cable directly into the hc port on the mount whereas the other cable fits into the bottom of the hc, it seems that when the hc is not used, nothing works,  I also have Cartes du Ciel on my laptop (Dell 15000) the reticule moves on the screen but the mount does not move. Stranger than fiction.

Does the Hitec Astro cable work if it is plugged into the handset controller?

As far as I can see from some quick research here https://www.celestron.com/blogs/knowledgebase/what-are-the-aux-ports-on-my-computerized-telescope-for the only RS232 interface is in your hand controller. 

So I guess to answer your original question the driver you need is a Celestron  handset.

You asked your question in an EQMOD thread about Hitec Astro’s EQDIR adapter.  Now that adapter replaces the HC. Because the EQMOD software replace all the functionality of the HC and lots more besides.

You may therefore get more details if you ask your question in a Celestron AVX  forum

Edited by AndyKeogh