How does this sound as a startup setup

Just found a scope for sale and thought that might work.

Skywatcher Evostar 120 as a guide scope.

Then a Skywatcher ED80 as a image scope

All on a EQ5 mount.

The combined weight of the 2 scopes Would be 7.5kgs and I believe the EQ5 can take from 9-11kgs?

Any views on this

cheers si

Ermmmm this is a pain, I have just been offered a Skywatcher explorer 200p on a eq5 with full goto upgrade for £440!!!

Or I can go for the above for £300 for the mount +£100 for motors and £400 for the ED80.... What to do?????

si

If you wish to go down the photography route, then the EQ5, is really pushing it...  get a bigger mount HEQ5 or NEQ6, which be more 'future' proof, but the downside of being more expensive.

By all means get the ED80, but have a look at the ST80 for a guider.

I think 9-11 kgs on an EQ5 is really pushing it, especially for imaging. An HEQ5 and ST80 for guiding would be better.. I also think a 200P on an EQ5 is pushing the mount a bit far. I have a Vixen GP mount, and the EQ5 is a clone. Originally, the clone was not as good as the GP, but SW has been improving, and modern EQ5s should be comparable to the GP. I would happily put an ST80 and me 80mm triplet side-by-side on it, but I would not like to push it much further. The mount also handles a C8 well, but that is not only much lighter, but also much shorter than the 200P, which means the torque on the mount caused by forces on the scope is much smaller with an SCT. Vixen has always been much more conservative about what the mount could hold: a 4" frac (mainly slow achros of F/10 - F/15 in the day), a 6" Newtonian (F/5-F/8) or an 8" SCT. 

That's the thing with the more expensive option. You are looking at £600-£700 just for the mount to start with!!!!!! That is all my budget, just on a mount.... I have seen some half decent images taken on a EQ5, as long as you dont overload it. The HEQ5 will be my next upgrade in a couple of yrs time, when I have got the jist of taking pictures of stars lol

Just wondered is the exp 200p, just a visual scope as you can't put anything else on the EQ5 mount with it, as it is so so heavy.

Ie: Big scope or 2 small ones ed80 and a guide.

si

So my best bet is still use the Ed80 and smaller finder scope, so really I only have about 5kgs on a mount that should take 9kg's max..... Cool.

That has got rid of the idea of getting the £440 Exp 200p.

Another question also, does anyone do a mount for a Gopro camera on a scope. I have 2 Hero 3 Black+ editions, that will record in 2.7k which I wouldn't mind playing about with on a scope.

cheers si

What sort of targets do you wish to image - Moon/Planetary, Galaxies or nebula?

Different scopes are better for different targets and the mount to go with them varies also.

Deep sky stuff, I have done the planets etc, when I had a 6SE a couple of yrs ago.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

You could slow down a little, as there is too much excitement, and you want something today? and possibly waste money on something that will be unsuitable for your needs. I dont do any proper astrophotography, but I know its a major headache getting everything just right, then location, transport, power, the list goes on.

If you had a read of the publication in the link, you will be assured of whats possible, and a better understanding of how it all works, and why. There will be other books and references out there, but I have the book, and its well worth a look.

Archived