Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dilema: 2" TS Optics 2x Barlow vs 1,25" Televue 2x achromatic

Jazzmatazz

Hello Guys!

Looking to buy my first Barlow for my 12" f5 Newtonian!

I read everywhere you simply cant go wrong with Televue and was aiming for a Tv barlow. However a 2" Tv barlow is simply too much for me, and i can get my hands on a second hand TS Optics 2" Barlow for 80€. The other option would be a Tv 2x Barlow for around 130€, the downside is its 1,25". 

I have a 2" focuser on my dobsonian. 

Would you guys care to comment and give your opinion on what would you buy? 

Any other recomendations on this budget are also more than welcome.

Thank you guys! 

Are you using 2" EP's? If not you would need an adapter for the 2" barlow. So, as you would have to buy an adapter anyway, you may as well buy the TV barlow.

If you do use 2" EP's, then disregard the above, and get the TS barlow.

Sorry if that seems obvious, but that's the way I think when buying stuff.

My advice would be buy once, and buy quality - especially if you could pick the TV up 2nd hand perhaps? A good Barlow is portable across scopes and EPs, and a workhorse for years and years of return on investment.

I have a TV PM, and it is optically very noticeably better than my €40 1.25" 2x TS barlow. Sounds like the TS one you are considering is far higher quality though going by the price.

I am with Niallk. A barlow / powermate / telextender can be a lifetime tool. With a small selection of eyepieces of specific focal length they can be an excellent way to duplicate your eyepiece collection saving a lot of money. 

My advise is to buy one and buy very good on this tool. It would be better if second hand of course. 

Maybe before buying have a serious thought of your telescope focal length, the eyepiece you would need (now and for potentially future telescopes) and what you can achieve with the multiplier factor of this eyepiece focal reducer. 

Some time ago I wrote this little guide (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/251506-a-guide-for-choosing-a-sensible-eyepiece-collection-using-the-exit-pupil/). Maybe it can be helpful. 

I have the bresser SA 2x (a tele-extender despite the name barlow) and a TV powermate 2.5x. The former is very good compared to standard achromatic barlow out there and even compared to a powermate although a difference is there. The latter is just perfect to my eye. I cannot notice that it is there. I cannot comment on TV Barlows as I've never owned one. It's Tele Vue though, so I would expect it to be top notch! 

If you want to use 2" eyepieces I can recommend the Revelation x2 ED Barlow ( its made by GSO and is optically excellent with good build quality). It's not a Powermate but at under £40 shipped in the UK it's marvellous value with good performance.

Dave

Thank you só much for your feedback guys!

I'm inclined towards Televue, because it's Tv and I read everywhere they're the best! So the thought of having that EP is seductive!

The problem is the 1,25"! The Tv BigBarlow is simply way over budget, but at the same time I'm afraid you buying a top 1,25 and feel the need to upgrade to a 2" in some years.

My friend says visually there's no big difference between the TSoptics 2" and the tv Barlow, so would you guys consider the 100€ TSO Barlow a good option for the future?

On the other side, for how cheap can you get a second hand Tv Big Barlow?

If the TS Optics 2" barlow you refer to is this one: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p58_TS-Optics-TSB22-2x-ED-Barlow-lens--2-inch--ED-Element---BIG-BARLOW.html

then it's the same as mine from Telescope House: http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_ED_2x_Barlow_2__.html at £42 (its gone up slightly).

Both items are made in Taiwan by Guang Sheng Optical (GSO), who make many "own brand" goods for retailers like TS Optics and Telescope House.

I've bought items from both retailers, both give good service, but why would you buy the same item with a different brand on it costing c £85 including shipping from Germany, and about half that from a UK retailer? :confused:

Hope that helps.

Dave

I've owned both the GSO/Televue 2" barlows (although not at the same time) and don't remember the Big Barlow being any better or worse than the GSO. That said, I also didn't see any real difference between the 2" Powermate and the TV 2" Big Barlow, other than a significant difference in weight, so maybe I'm not the best person to be giving advise?

If you are on a budget the GSO/Revelation/TS 2" mentioned above is a great choice (obviously go with the cheapest branded), and you honestly will not be disappointed.

I owned one of the Revelation 2" ED barlows (which are GSO made I'm sure). It was very good for the price but not quite in the league of the Powermate to my eyes in that I could see some ghosting and additional light scatter when using it which is simply absent with the Powermate. Huge price difference of course so the Revelation / GSO is certainly very good value.

Archived