First solar images, bonus jetliner.

MilwaukeeLion

My inexpensive tin foil looking solar filter arrived Fri.  Slapped it on the ED80TCF today to takes some shots, pretty neat.  Had difficulty focusing until I switched over to video mode on DSLR and zoomed in.  Only then was able to see spots clear enough to get focus.  Was shooting at ISO 100, 1/4000 of sec.  Took about 40 images trying different speeds / ISO combos.  Didn't even notice the jet until looking through images in Lightroom. Don't know how to bring the prominence out or maybe I won't be able to bring it out with the film type filter I have or need to use barlow to be closer than 480mm to see prominence? Anyway was nice break from raking leaves.

Enjoy,

ML

post-46204-0-66743900-1447039033_thumb.j

post-46204-0-29158000-1447039041_thumb.j

post-46204-0-16642400-1447039054_thumb.j

Lovely shots, ML, what a catch for your first session! Focus looks good to my eyes.

With this type of solar filter (white light), you won't see prominences. To see prominences you need a hydrogen-alpha solar telescope (like a Coronado PST or Lunt 50), or if you have a compatible refractor, something like a Coronado SolarMax Solar filter set or a Daystar Quark. The cost is unfortunately much more than white light. Also h-alpha gives a red image so although you can use a colour camera with it, ideally, you'd use a monochrome video camera. That said, I have seen some very nice DSLR h-alpha pics so don't let that put you off, it's just mono is ideal as all pixels will record the h-alpha, whereas with a colour camera, only the red pixels (1/4 of the total pixels) will.

Look forward to more pics!

PS white light and h-alpha show aspects of the sun differently so many of us into h-alpha do both.

Archived