Any luck with Xbox?

matt-c

Hi all

I'm messing about (for reasons beyond me) with an Xbox camera and trying to use it as a guide cam but failing horribly.

Has anyone managed to get it working? All I get in PhD is speckles everywhere or vertical lines. I can achieve good focus during the day on a distant tree but it's impossible at night.

I was using a Celestron travel scope but figured it might be slow so stuck it on a dslr lens but still nothing.

I will eventually upgrade to a proper camera but just wanted to wet my toes but instead I've lost hair :@

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

I've modded a PS3 eye, I didn't take the LEDs out, just covered them. What are you using to capture with? I use sharpcap - it works great but you have to adjust gain and exposure or you do get 'noise' as it sets them both to max automatically at night. It's also best to start with something easy (like the moon) so you can get used to where the focus points are, gain settings etc...

Clear skies!

Dazzyt

Skywatcher 150P

U have to take the LEDs out the webcam have a hunt on utube or on stargazers lounge in the forums there plenty of advice there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Goonrdolly.

I'd already crushed them with pliers and after following the cliff mod.

I've modded a PS3 eye, I didn't take the LEDs out, just covered them. What are you using to capture with? I use sharpcap - it works great but you have to adjust gain and exposure or you do get 'noise' as it sets them both to max automatically at night. It's also best to start with something easy (like the moon) so you can get used to where the focus points are, gain settings etc...

Clear skies!

Dazzyt

Skywatcher 150P

Thanks Dazzyt66

I'm using phd2 to try and locate a star atm i've tried sharp cam but no matter what i do its always the same results  :huh: I think you are right about using the moon.

Perhaps it is not sensitive enough to see the stars for you to pick one for it to guide with.

Try to set focus with it the next time the Moon is around and then try again.

Thanks happy-kat

I have a feeling you're correct about the sensitivity  :sad:.

Who would have thought i'd be wishing for the moon  :grin:

Archived