Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Intel atom windows 8 tablet.

I know this is a question about a tablet but it is relevant to astronomy. I was looking at a qindows 8.1 tablet to use outside instead of my laptop, I've seen one on eBay going cheap and it says it has Intel atom. So my question is can I run desktop programs (sharpcap) and the like on it? Or is the Intel atom the windows rt version that can only load apps?

Thanks in advance.

Windows 8.1 tablets will run desktop applications, obviously the screen is a bit small. There are issues with some of the smaller tablets, the main one is that most charge from the only usb port, and you cant use usb devices and charge at the same time. If you cant stretch to £140ish you can get something like the asus transformer t100 which has a detachable keyboard and a usb 3 port. I also think 10" is about right for windows tablets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-Transformer-Book-T100-10-1in-32GB-Windows-8-Tablet-Computer-Keyboard-Grey-/331676200386?hash=item4d39712dc2:g:JqAAAOSwo0JWFkOJ

I went for a HP Stream 7 as a cheap experiment... There are issues because of the screen size (especially) when used with an On Screen Keyboard for "typing"  but it can run most things...

I get about 4 hours battery life out of it when running a DSLR using either BYEOS or APT.

I use an OTG hub to allow me to connect to the DSLR, and a "wireless" keyboard and touchpad - one of the small ones designed as a remote for a media centre... You could use a Bluetooth one instead but I already had it..

There's a thread on using them here... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/234107-anyone-using-cheap-windows-tablet-with-apt/page-1?hl=stream

Windows 10 is finding it's way onto them these days, Mine had 8.1 so I had a free "upgrade" to 10... apparently the smaller screened devices with Windows 10 pre-installed  may not get "desktop" mode in future although the upgrade allows the switch it defaults to tablet mode.

Peter...

I use a linx 8, was £49 from staples last year and runs sharpcap and apt just fine. However I would recommend a Bluetooth backlit mini keyboard and trackpad for when out.

There are new cherry trail based tablets around now, pipo do a decent one, I wouldn't pay more than £50 or so for a baytrail 1gb 8" tablet.

Can anyone explain to me the advantages of a Windows Tablet over a Laptop?

Reading this thread, the disadvantages seem to be no keypad, scree too small, and only one USB.

Michael

Cheap, can sit on toilet reading this forum. Other than that a laptop is way to go, especially with a backlit keyboard and ssd.... Unless you have a qhy5l iic and it refuses to run on my USB 3.0 equipped laptop

I picked up an Asus X205T netbook. Works a charm with everything. Just limited on disk space (32 gb ssd) but I added a 64gb memory card for data.

I get 8 to 10 hours battery life. The big disadvantage is the power adapter is not standard. I did find an extra one on amazon for a reasonable price.

Can anyone explain to me the advantages of a Windows Tablet over a Laptop?

Reading this thread, the disadvantages seem to be no keypad, scree too small, and only one USB.

Michael

It depends on the grunt it has, i found Atom cpu's underpeform, not all usb's are fully functionable usb ports, one tablet i tried was pretty usless, my dell (cant rcall model put was i5 8gb ram) was fine but i onlly linked to it remote

Archived