Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian Telescope

Hi again,

Does anyone have or have used an Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian Telescope? I am now considering getting one instead of the Skywatcher 200p as I have now received a 130p from a family member. What is the difference from a Dob and a Reflector?   

Some large Dobsonians have an open tube with just a skeleton frame for the tube. This I believe is just to cut down the weight of the scope itself, otherwise it would be too heavy to move easily. Apart from that there is no advantage I believe, and in fact in some cases can be a disadvantage for dewing up the primary mirror perhaps I think.

Ok so not really too appealing for me then.

Thank you :)

Not trying to put you off getting one, just noting some of the drawbacks potentially. If you are still young and fit moving one about might be relatively easy. I'm sure not all Dobsonians weigh a ton, but as always with any kind of scope you get the larger the lens/mirror you have to gather the light the heavier it is going to be.

.....the Flex-Tube can be collapsed in height for better storage options, but remains the same width.

I too would be to  tempted to reach in and clean more often, and  without a 'jacket' of sorts, an open tube could allow stray light to enter the scope.

I'm studying  other issues elsewhere and it would appear that a flex-tube can be 'adjusted' to better cater for DSLR and or Bino-viewers that cannot reach focus, so maybe a positive there for some folk?

I still prefer the rigidity of a solid tube classic Dobsonian, I would have to confirm collimation every-time I extended  a flex-tube prior to use, whereas, this is not required on my Skyliner.

Ah I see makes sense storage is beginning to be a problem at the mo but I think I still have a lot of learning with equipment and in the heavens right now so a 10" Dob is about the maximum I will go right now, I currently have two telescopes some Bins and I think the Dob will have to be the thing to complete my set right now :) 

The Flextube design is smaller to store and transport because the tube length reduces down when the scope is not in use. Oddly the Flextube version of the dobsonians weighs just a bit more than the solid tube version. The optics are the same in both versions.

The 250PX dobsonians are very popular on this forum. I was using one recently under quite dark skies and had some superb views of deep sky objects and we also managed to spot Neptune with it :smiley:

my 200P 8" Skyliner takes 4" (10cm) more floor space than my dining room chair, and stands about 4` 4"  (133cm) tall, fully assembled. The 10" wont be that much bigger.

Tripod  mounted systems  with their legs spread,  take up  more  floor space in storage,  and maybe a trip hazard in the dark, for those around you?

The Flextube design is smaller to store and transport because the tube length reduces down when the scope is not in use. Oddly the Flextube version of the dobsonians weighs just a bit more than the solid tube version. The optics are the same in both versions.

The 250PX dobsonians are very popular on this forum. I was using one recently under quite dark skies and had some superb views of deep sky objects and we also managed to spot Neptune with it :smiley:

That's great, I have heard a lot of good things about this telescope and will save me some money at the same time compared to the Sky-Watcher 200p :)

Archived