Nikon aculon 8x42

Jmb

Hi

I am new my name is Janine and I live in Brisbane, Australia.

I just got a pair of the Nikon's two days ago, and of course it has rained since. I really want to get out and test them!

Anyway, just wondering if you have these and what are your thoughts on them.

I have a pair of 11x56 which I just find too heavy for long time use.

I would also like some recommendations for books re binocular astronomy. I live in Australia so would like southern hemisphere skies!

Thanks for your time

Janine

Hi, derekus from Southern California,,

I have leopolds 10-42, and i use them more than my celestron 6e , mostly because of set up time. So much ambient light in my area, my binoculars really bring the sky in site. I really look forward to setting up and using my telescope but until then i am glad i have my leopolds,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Janine and welcome to SGL.  :hello2:

With reference to your 11x56 binoculars, can you add a mounting bracket to them and attach it to a tripod head or monopod? If not, use an upturned broom/brush with a towel wrapped over the bristles and rest the binoculars on that whilst using them.

Apologies, I cannot help much with the book side as most books that I know are for northern hemisphere/latitudes. Though a good star atlas may help... ie Norton's Star Atlas*.

Also, have a look at the Observing with Binoculars section.  :bino2:

* some old/early editions can be freely downloaded in .PDF format  :book1:

Hi Janine and welcome to SGL, "Touring The Universe With Binoculars" by Philip.S.Harrington, is a well established book on the subject, which has its own dedicated star maps down load, there are, of course others which may be mentioned before too long. Enjoy the forum :) 

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!! I certainly wasn't expecting such response, I really appreciate your taking time to respond.

Thanks again

Janine

Archived