SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW Explorer 200P-DS OTA & HEQ5 Mount Query

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding buying equipment separately and the additional accessories that would be needed. 

Say you purchase the above OTA with the HEQ5 Mount, I see on the OO website it lists a number of items you can add on http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/MOUNTS/skywatcherheq5.htmlto your purchase at the bottom of the page, tube cradles, pedestal, etc. I was wondering what items would be essential to add on.

Really just out of interest at this stage, hoping to get into AP at a later date.

Thanks,

Rods

If you want to get into astrophotography at a later date, I would consider the implications first?

Understanding the needs and requirements now could save you a whole host of headaches and wasted expenditure in the early days, Months or Years. 

Any scope should come ready to use, however like most of us, the eyepieces are the first to get assessed and exchanged for something more comfortable to use?

Most other parts are interchangeable between scopes of similar type, and mounts and their accessories are down to whatever you choose, however, when you start adding the telescope, camera, finder-scopes, grenade sized eyepieces, and 3mtr wiring looms to power everything, you'll soon find out that your mount is not quite up to it any more.  I would work  backwards and from the ground up, once the foundations are sound (  I don't mean concrete) I meant the supporting system to hold a complete astro mount, then  the scope should work flawlessly.

As for the list, it refers to the size of fittings depending on  the OTA ( Optical Tube Assembly )  the weights to balance your rig/system,  and other accessories.

So some study  and a few good pointers from the good folk here, and you'll all be sorted for Christmas......or not!

Also on the subject, this makes for a great read. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Welcome to SGL.

Just a bit of a warning regarding HEQ5 + 200PDS: I have them and they're a somewhat marginal combination for astrophotography. The OTA is just a bit too big for the mount, so even a slight breeze will make it wobble and putting on a guidescope would require more counterweights.

For visual observationa it'pretty nice though. The Skywatcher motor focus unit is affordable and critical for making focusing accurate without wobbles.

Archived