SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help needed

Hi really struggling here ...when sky is clear which is not often in Lincs area, I can observe the moon..fantastic...not so when I want to look at the stars.

What am I doing wrong..I really want to learn but am getting nowhere fast

Hi a celestron Astromaster 70

Sorry, new or second hand, do you have the manual for reference?

The fact you can see a fantastic Moon says that something is working but like  Mick J mentions, other conditions can have awful side effects to spoil your views? 

Hi not sure what I expect to see with stars, been watching them from bedroom window for long enough so I think I at least expected them to look something like that...

My scope is new bought for my birthday only a few weeks ago...

If you focus on the moon and get the view as sharp and in focus as you can, then you will be in focus still when you pan to any stars. Under ideal conditions all the stars will look like just a pin point of light. You can get a Bahtinov mask to go on your scope to help achieve best optical focus for viewing stars. Never used one myself, but thinking of getting one in the future.

I can't see if your scope has a focus lock, tensioner ( underneath the focuser controls ).  Its quite possible that the focus is set sufficiently to observer the Big Bright Moon, but not focusing  enough for the Stars, just makes sure the focuser moves in and out when you adjust the focuser.

If you take the telescope out during the Day, aim the telescope at something far away in the distance, the further away the better, using the 25mm eyepiece.

Once you find your target, lock the telescope into position. Then read how to adjust the Star Pointer/ finder-scope  and align that to the same target. The manual suggests doing this at night, as the red dot on the Star pointer is harder to see during the day, but for us Newtonian users, we would align during the day, with a standard  finder scope. I have a Telrad finder, that works on the same principle as your Star Pointer, but the Telrad  reticule is visible during the day.

Once this is achieved, use the smaller 10mm eyepiece, and do the same, this ensures finer accuracy with the higher magnification using the smaller focal length.

When both the  Star Pointer and telescope are properly aligned, it will be easier to find the Stars during the night. keeping both eyes open helps too when using the finder.

If/when the clouds clear, you could align the telescope ( OUTSIDE )  on the Star, Polaris, as this hardly moves in the field of view when observing, whereas all the other Stars will move across your field of view. You mention Stars  from the bedroom window?  If that window is closed, the glass could impair your image too. best to be outside, or have that window open!

You have a 70mm aperture. I have a 200mm aperture and still need to be outside to get the best from the telescope.

Your telescope will certainly give you good lunar views, especially when the moon is only partially lit, ie, when it

is a crescent, or quarter. The craters will show in sharp relief, and makes the moon an enjoyable object to study.

Your scope Has a   70mm diameter lens, so the bright objects, such as the moon are Ideal targets.

Jupiter and Saturn, and Venus too, are the brighter of the planets, and Saturn even in a small aperture telescope is 

a lovely sight, with it's rings encircling the planet. You might, on a good seeing nigh, no moon in the sky, see some

banding on Jupiter, and Venus displays phase, like the moon.

Be aware that the Sun must never be observed in a telescope, you will severely damage your eyesight, and it happens instantly,

so do not do it. The sun can be observed, but only by employing  certain techniques, which will be explained to you

by SGL  Solar experts should you ever wish to do so. Just ask and someone will explain what you need to do.

I think you should forget the Sun, until you become more expert in using your telescope.

The stars too are interesting, especially the multiple systems. Double stars, many of which can be resolved, even with your 60 mm lens.

You will find some are of differing colours, and are very attractive to observe.

There is much you can do with the telescope, but concentrate on what it can comfortably achieve, and don't expect too much from it.

Due to it's size, it has limitations.

Once you get used to how to handle it, your enjoyment will increase, then you will

get ambitious, and want a larger instrument  :grin:.

Good Luck ..

Ron.

Archived