Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star71 First light - Take 2 (IC1396)

Uranium235

There is a new badge of Star 71's that fixes the odd star patterns/spikes maybe you are one that got one of those? 

Oh really? I've been holding off on a Star 71 because of the star issues. Glad to hear they've fixed this!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The halos im getting are purely from the narrowband filters I use (Baader 7.5nm), I shot a load of M45 with the Astronomik CCD CLS filter last night and didnt get any halos at all (and the stars contained within that are far brighter than the Garnet Star). It must be something to do with the nature of the filter (being reflective to unwanted light), im not too bothered by it really as its not the fault of the telescope.

The Star71 I got was pretty much fresh off the boat, so its as up to date as it can be. Im guessing the image you attached was LRGB and not NB? Try a Baader NB filter on a bright star, you might find you get the same thing as I do.

I'm not talking about the Halo's ... but more weird spikes, not always present but temperature dependent and also vary sample by sample ... if you look at my flickr gallery first images had it, I suspect they disappeared with adjustment of focuser ...

I used a Baader Ha filter with my Nikon D810A as well no issue with Halo's it's their new 3.5nm ...

I do not do LRGB imaging with star 71 I use it with my Nikon ...

20244079322_a57084e964_b.jpgNGC7000DRZ-Ha by Yves, on Flickr

I'm not talking about the Halo's ... but more weird spikes, not always present but temperature dependent and also vary sample by sample ... if you look at my flickr gallery first images had it, I suspect they disappeared with adjustment of focuser ...

I used a Baader Ha filter with my Nikon D810A as well no issue with Halo's it's their new 3.5nm ...

I do not do LRGB imaging with star 71 I use it with my Nikon ...

NGC7000DRZ-Ha by Yves, on Flickr

Ohhh right, I see! Nope, ive not had any odd spikes here - apart from the standard ones you get from the cell clips, which I dont mind since it tells me that the telescope is focused well.

Thanks for bringing the 3.5nm Baader to my attention :) but.... I've just seen the price for a 2"   :eek:  oh dear!

Archived