SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage-130p Flextube

I've just seen this scope on the FLO website (here's the link)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

I'm thinking about getting a third telescope.  Currently I have a Meade LX-90 with a SkyWatcher ST-80 mounted on top as a guide scope.  This I'm using for AP.

However, when I'm in the middle of an imaging session, I'm sat there baby sitting my scope so that nothing goes wrong, or gets stolen etc.

This leads me to thinking about getting another scope so that I can have some fun observing old school style whilst my tech does it's thing.

This would be ideal for cloudy dodging and grabbing the odd look at the moon too.

But I have a concern and was wondering if anyone had any experience of this scope...

My concert revolved around the flexi part of the setup.  The open tube design, the pull out section specifically.

Two problems come to mind.  Please bear in mind that I'd be wanting to keep this as a very basic scope, ideally with no power requirements.

1. Collimation.  With that pull out section, is the scopes collimation going to be an issue?  i.e. will it need adjusting every-time I setup, or will it hold the collimation between sessions?

2. Dew.  With the 1/2 open tube design is dew an issue with this scope?   If so, how long a session would I be able to expect from average UK skies?

note: I could add a dew heater, if really needed but would prefer not too.  This would be a purchase to allow me to have some fun whilst my big scope is busy.

1 - it is a sturdy system, sometimes I don't need to adjust colimation sometimes I do because it is so easy.

2 - I made a very simple light shroud this also stops dew on the secondary.

3 - depending on how you image/what ground you set up on don't lose a night of images because you moved around and caused vibration to your setup as a thought.

Hi, I have had first hand experience of this particular reflector and I have to say as a grab and go scope it is hard to beat.

We haven't had to collimate it (maybe I've just been lucky)

Neither have we had any dew problems to speak of. It's open design means it's cool down period is super quick and as a table mounted dobsonian it makes observing sessions really easy and comfortable.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that the focuser is a helical type focuser on the eyepiece holder itself. But I wouldn't say that was a negative.

I say we as I don't own this scope but regularly attend star parties and astronomy sessions were this exact scope is used and I am always first in the queue to use it and I love it.

It's easy to setup, easy to use and very rewarding

Just to second happy-kat's comments, the Heritage 130 is a remarkably simple but very effective little scope. Collimation is about as easy it gets with this scope and despite the collapsible/extending aspect of it, in my experience it holds its collimation well. Dewing, as said, need not be a major issue with a  little improvised or DIY shroud. It needs to be mounted on something sturdy and stable of a suitable height but again this is easy to sort out. The focuser on the Heritage is a of a very simple helical type which looks as if it shouldn't work so well but in practice does. "Simplicity" is the word  with this scope and I was a little cautious about expecting too much but it always surprises me how well optically it performs. Another big plus is that because of its compact design it can be carried about and set up in just a few minutes. So yes the Heritage 130 can provide some "old school" (?) fun.

1 - it is a sturdy system, sometimes I don't need to adjust colimation sometimes I do because it is so easy.

2 - I made a very simple light shroud this also stops dew on the secondary.

3 - depending on how you image/what ground you set up on don't lose a night of images because you moved around and caused vibration to your setup as a thought.

I've already taken steps on my imaging scope to help dampen vibrations, so that's actually something that I'm not concerned about.  Also, if/when I get this scope and use it at the same time, I have every intention of setting up several feet away from my LX-90 so that there's less chance of ground transfer vibrations.

Thank's for the info everyone.  Looks like this will be a great grab and go to add to my kit.  I saw the 74mm verision recently and thought it was very cute, then saw the 100p and now this - guess I have apeture fever again.  Thing.  I think the real killer feature is how small it'll pack down.  Looks like it'll go in a suitcase without a problem :)

Looks like it'll go in a suitcase without a problem :)

Nope, I doubt it will fit in a suitcase. It's still 5" across, and the base is bigger, and an awkward shape.

If suitcase size scopes is what you're after, I'd consider an 80mm refractor, and a tripod. A good strong camera tripod might do.

That said, it is a fairly dinky scope - it doesn't take up my entire car like the 10" dob does.

Nope, I doubt it will fit in a suitcase. It's still 5" across, and the base is bigger, and an awkward shape.

If suitcase size scopes is what you're after, I'd consider an 80mm refractor, and a tripod. A good strong camera tripod might do.

That said, it is a fairly dinky scope - it doesn't take up my entire car like the 10" dob does.

ok, won't fit in a suitcase, but is still alot more portable than my current setup.  This is a thought that's going to run for a while, as I my next Astro holiday is in March.  So I'm thinking that I'm still weighing up the differences between the 100p and this scope.  Both are great grab and go scopes, which is what I'm really after.  At some point I'll come to a decision between the two.

Archived