Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hate cloudy rainy nights

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump - Got my telescope a couple of weeks ago, and had hardly any clear nights, had some nice sunny days but as soon as the sun goes down,  just turns to cloud and rain  :hmh:

Same here! It's so frustrating isn't it... Thursday evening looks like it might be good though, at least here in the south west - fingers crossed!

Same here! It's so frustrating isn't it... Thursday evening looks like it might be good though, at least here in the south west - fingers crossed!

Thursday is looking good for me too. Already pre warned the wife I'll be coming to bed late.

Just hope the forecast is correct

Thursday is looking good for me too. Already pre warned the wife I'll be coming to bed late.

Just hope the forecast is correct

I will be breaking the news to my missus tonight and will say "Look love, we can both watch a movie while the kids are sleeping but after midnight i'm going out stargazing in our backgarden. So see you when you wake up" :p

My view is that part of the answer is to have a grab  and go scope (as your main scope or as an additional scope) - that is one that can be carried outside in one go, including it's mount.  That way you can make the most of any brief gap in the cloud and at least have a quick astrofix to ease your frustration.  Even in the worse weather conditions, it's surprising how you will sometimes have a brief window of opportunity.  I'm also a keen Solar observer and this of course gives you extra opportunities. 

Oh yes, I have also been a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society for some years :grin:

I will be breaking the news to my missus tonight and will say "Look love, we can both watch a movie while the kids are sleeping but after midnight i'm going out stargazing in our backgarden. So see you when you wake up" :p

Well that plan didn't go well with my missus hence the reason why I'm sleeping on the sofa tonight ... But it's all good, at least I'll be able to do some stargazing tomorrow night

Well that plan didn't go well with my missus hence the reason why I'm sleeping on the sofa tonight ... But it's all good, at least I'll be able to do some stargazing tomorrow night

Don't worry about it. She can only be so mad for so long then all will be forgotten

I've already discovered that a comfy sofa is an essential piece of astronomical equipment if domestic harmony is to be retained.

Agreed ... even though i've got a strain in the neck by sleeping on the sofa last night but that's nothing when compared to looking through the polar scope trying to align the mount to polaris. And yet i'll be more than happy to look through the polar scope every night if we were fortunate enough to have clear skies at least half of the year

And still the cloudy, rainy nights persist.... i'd like to think that i'm a patient woman, but not had a clear night to get my telescope out yet, and had it 3 weeks now. Every time my days off come around, it rains....., i am waiting very patiently!!  :rolleyes2:

And still the cloudy, rainy nights persist.... i'd like to think that i'm a patient woman, but not had a clear night to get my telescope out yet, and had it 3 weeks now. Every time my days off come around, it rains....., i am waiting very patiently!! :rolleyes2:

Sods law - at work starry skies , off work cloud ☁☹

Oh im a little north of the Trent Valley, Im near sherwood Observatory which i think is on one of the highest points in nottinghamshire?

Hi there where abouts are you around there I'm literally down the road from there i live near Sutton junction mate.

But with regards to the clouds is starting to drive me insane I've had a brand new complete set up mount camera scope everything nearly for 5 weeks and not even had its first light yet....

Archived