Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Q...can someone explain the different sizes of EQ mounts, googling has got me no where

You know it would probably be worth your while visiting an astro gear outlet for first hand experience/advice. There's F1 Telescopes in Sittingbourne, Kent, and the Widescreen Centre in London. I'm not promoting either in any way, but they may be convenient for SE London. You could talk over your problems with them (astronomical, of course :biggrin: ), may be take your 'scope along to try things out.

Ian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That mount looks like any other to my untutored eye (i.e. someone who has never seen an EQ mount in the flesh). What are the features that mark it out as classic? It is significantly different from modern mounts?

ps

That's a neat setup you have there! Is that a converted garden shed? How does the roof work?

The mount shown is a great Polaris. It was designed by Vixen to carry their high end refractors and Newtonian while being portable and light weight. Is it better than the SW EQ5? Most certainly! It's engineering quality is excellent and its stronger sibling the GPDX is better still.

Just to illustrate; a few years ago I loaned a GP mount to a friend who had a Meade 127mm triplet apo. This is a heavy refractor but the GP carried it perfectly, the damping time for vibrations to die down was 2seconds ( the mount was on a pier). He later bought a Meade German equatorial which was of a much larger construction. The Meade mount had a damping time of 12 seconds, it was appalling!

Of course your 3" refractor will be carried well by a SW EQ5, but they are weaker and not as well made as the Vixen mounts, but more than adequate for your scope. Astro buy Sell is a good place to look for a good secondhand mount.

The roll off roof observatory was constructed from 3/4" Ply on a 3" by 2" timber frame. It is clad on the outside and on roof with plastic cladding which reflects the heat of the sun, keeping the inside cool even on hot summer days. The inside is clad both walls and floor with interlocking black rubber exercise mats which aids with dark adaption. The roof rolls back on four wheels along an angle iron H frame. The building is 6' 6" high by 8' long and 7' wide.

Mike

If you are going to buy an equatorial mount [EQ], it is always be to spend more on that [the mount] than the 'scope. You've already got the 3" refractor so get the best that you can afford. That way if or when you decide to get a larger OTA or you want to try your hand at AP, you won't have to up-grade the mount again.

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

EQ 3-2 max capacity 5.5kg

EQ3 max capacity 5.5kg

EQ5 max capacity 9kg

EQ6 max capacity 25kg

EQ8 max capacity 50kg

Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

Are the above weights for visual observing or for imaging ?

There is generally quite a difference between these activities.

Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

Are the above weights for visual observing or for imaging ?

There is generally quite a difference between these activities.

Also, do they take into account the lengths of the scope? A one foot long scope won't wobble as much as a 5 foot scope which is a great big lever arm...

Also, do they take into account the lengths of the scope? A one foot long scope won't wobble as much as a 5 foot scope which is a great big lever arm...

Yes, thats quite right. The weight is only part of the story.

If you just want a mount for visual astronomy then you don't have to have a Equatorial mount. I much prefer to use alt AZ mount for two reasons; a) it is more intuitive and natural to move the telescope around on the mount. B) you don't have to constantly move the scope within the scope rings that hold it onto the mount to get the eyepiece into the correct position for viewing constantly. Sure, once you have an object located in the scope then only moving one of the axes to follow the object is great, but the reasons above far outweigh the pro's for a Equatorial mount in my eyes. Perhaps I might be a minority here, but for visual astronomy an al tAZ mount is much more easier to use and handle over an Equatorial mount any day. And much quicker and easier to set up too! :)

I have a 4" f13 refractor which needs a very substantial mount - well beyond what you'd expect for 7.5 kg, mainly for the reason outlined by John above (moment). Every puff of wind will cause it to rock backwards and forwards a little on the bearings and after any adjustment, it will take a second or two to settle down. I would tend to agree with the comment above about Skytee 2 mounts - my scope worked reasonably well on one that I borrowed. If not, it's a substantial and expensive EQ mount with a good tripod!

Chris

Archived