Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope for my son

I would imagine that you would be assisting your child in the use of any telescope.  This would be great fun, with a tremendous wow-factor, and for the two of you...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-az4-mount.html

I'm certain you could handle the maintenance aspect -- collimation -- when needed.  I realise that it's a lot more than you perhaps intended, but it would show so much more than those previously suggested, and it would last for years to come.

You could either hold your child up to the eyepiece; or get a safe step-stool for him to climb up, and thereby to reinforce the aspiration to reach towards the sky.

In any event, never allow any child to use a telescope unattended, especially during the day when the sun is out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my 5 year old grandson has a 130p on a eq mount and he uses it well and he knows all about the orion area and the names of most of the main stars, so thay can take it all in at that age, he knows what a barlows for and the difference between the ep sizes. goodluck with your new scope when you get it, all good advice above. clear skys charl.l

my 5 year old grandson has a 130p on a eq mount and he uses it well and he knows all about the orion area and the names of most of the main stars, so thay can take it all in at that age, he knows what a barlows for and the difference between the ep sizes. goodluck with your new scope when you get it, all good advice above. clear skys charl.l

Impressive, but you are right they can soak up a lot at that age if they have the interest. Does he get the bug from you Charl or is your son/daughter interested as well? I would think he'd need a guiding hand at that age.

Ian

Ian- yer i think im the one to blame, his dad is really sporty hes into extreem sports, hes had his scope for a year now and hes trying to understand how to polar aline but i have to do it for him at the moment as the tripods a bit heavy for him, i was 8 when i watched my first s@n and was hooked, but i think kids today are a lot faster learners than back in my day. clear skys charl.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm in the same boat as the op, 5yo son wants a telescope for Christmas and I kind of fancy one myself but although I have an interest in the cosmos I have absolutely zero experience with star gazing. I been reading this thread and narrowed it down to the follwoing. Wife wants me to keep the budget below £100. What you'd think? Cheers!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Travel-Scope-70-Telescope/dp/B001TI9Y2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449786227&sr=8-2&keywords=travelscope+70

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-cosmos-lt-60az.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-astromaster-series/celestron-astromaster-70eq.html

I would go with one of the 70mm scopes but for a five year old I think you should get an az mount rather than eq.

The astromaster comes with a better tripod and higher magnifications with the supplied eyepieces.

On the other hand a five year old won't need the aluminium tripod supplied with the travel scope to be at full extension which will help with stability and the smaller scope should also be more manageable for him. I believe it also has an erecting eyepiece so the image will be the right way up and more useful for terrestrial observations as well. Overall I would probably go for the travelscope.

I would definitely recommend the Orion starblast 4.5 inch reflector . It is a great easy to carry, light telescope with decent aperture to see nice details on the moon, you can even see Jupiter ,it's stripes, the Great Red Spot, and a few of its moons. Venus, Saturn, and Mars are great view as well! Best of all it doesn't break the bank at around $180-200 , it comes with a 17mm and 6mm eyepiece. I recommend getting a better 6mm eyepiece with more eye relief, and wider field of view to avoid frustrations early on keeping a target on track and getting tired from the short eye relief.

Archived