Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Samyang?

michaelmorris

I know that this has been covered before, but I can't find the post. 

I'm thinking about getting an ultra-widefield Lens for use on my Canon 1100D.  I want one to take shots of the Milky Way, meteor showers and (hopefully one day) Aurorae.  The Samyang range of widefield lens seem very popular and are probably the only ones within my budget - but which one to buy?  The 14mm seems to be the most popular, but some people seem to use the 10mm instead.  What would be the advantages/disadvantages of each for the applications I am considering?

Thanks

I used the 14mm Samyang with a full frame 6D for a while which was a great combo, it meant I could easily shoot at 3200iso @ f/2.8 with 42s exposures.

http://www.pbase.com/mike73/widefield_images

I think with a APS-C I'd be more inclined to go for the 10mm although I haven't actually had any experience with that lens myself.

The 14mm did show pretty bad moustache distortion, PT Lens does a great job of clearing that.

I bought the 10 mm Samyang APC-C lens for my 600D and 7D since I wanted a faster and wider field than any of the other options provide. I only regret that I didn't buy it before the astronomy trip to Teneriffe we did where I was limited by my otherwise excellent 24-70 mm Sigma zoom. I believe that the 10 mm would have beaten the pants off both the Sigma and the slower Canon 10-22 one of my friends used, I have been very impressed with the stars the edges, even wide open. 

Archived