740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

heart with 12nm astronomik eos filter

matt-c

Hi all just want to share this image I recently got with this new filter.

Currently I should be revising for my cardiac exams but this is a picture of a heart so i'm classing it as revision.

Its extremely noisy the weather played havoc it was so moist and foggy so i tried my best.

3-4min subs (an hourish), calibration frames, 200mm takumar on a eq3 pro, excessive dew  :tongue:

Hopefully give it a real go when this moisture clears off but i'm happy with my first go at it.

Thanks for looking

post-24024-0-43028100-1446467449_thumb.j

• Like 6

I've just checked the size of the file and if it's true that the image is only 83KB then I'm not surprised it looks worse than it should :)

The image itself looks rather good. Deep rich colour. Good corner stars. Nice tracking. No stand out colour mottling. Flat background. 

I wish I could take such a nice photo in the mist with a DSLR. Very nice effort.

Good luck with the exams,

Dave.

• Like 1

How did you process the data from the sensor if you don't mind me asking? There is a correct way of doing this and any other way will just give you noise.

What was the processing software?

A.G

Edited by lensman57
  • Like 1

okay I've had a little play around trying to get rid of the noise i think I've took away sharpness but overall maybe a less noisy image.

what do you think?

i'm thinking i need to forget this data and get some new when the conditions are better  :clouds2:

post-24024-0-33497300-1446578558_thumb.j

Very good concidering the conditions, that by itself will make the picture softer

The second shot is a bit over processed, I am likeing the first one better,

star shapes, colours and flatness of the image is good,

so all you need is the weather and plenty of subs and all should be well.

Well done

Paul

• Like 1

That's a brave effort, though perhaps a little CPR might be required!! It does get to a point when any subs are better than no subs though.

I prefer the first version too, the second looks a bit over processed.

As far as the forum squeezing uploaded images, I find that is most true of jpegs. I always upload .png files, which seem to suffer the SGL processing much less.

Better conditions and loads of data will certainly help your results. I'm well impressed with the colour that you have pulled out of this though, good job.

I wonder if rotating the camera through 90° would help with the framing? You have the Soul Nebula in frame too, but it's slipping out the bottom. Just a thought!

Fingers crossed that conditions improve soon. It's great to have the early darkness, but currently useless!

• Like 1

Great image.  That filter seems to bring out the Ha data well.

I agree that the first image looks better than the one with the noise reduction.  If you have Photoshop you can use the Select>colour range to select only the background and de-noise only that.  I've taken the liberty of having a very quick go at this in Photoshop and moving the black point (individually adjusted for each colour channel) a bit to show you what this technique can do (I've possibly clipped the black point a bit, but hopefully you get the idea.)

post-586-0-51666200-1446586570_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Gav as soon as this rain/fog goes im going to aim for about 8 hours and see what i get hopefully that will improve it.

You're definitely right about moving the camera, i had thought it would need to be a mosaic but i think i can get it all in  :grin:

Thanks Michael thats much better  :shocked: i'm going to re process all my old stuff and try that  :evil:.

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks for that lensman I had no idea about that.
I used dss and ps to ruin it.
Any idea what the right way is?

Hi Matt,

Since you asked for it I will try and explain and hopefully it makes sense.

When you use an OSC sensor to gather Ha data you are only allowing a very narrow wave band to get through to the sensor which can only be picked up by the Red sites on your sensor. This however does not mean that the two Green and one Blue sites are made redundant quite the reverse as all the sites are charged up and only the Red site is gathering data the other two are just pumping idle state noise into your data stream. This green and blue noise must be prevented from getting mixed up in your final stack. There are ways to do this depending on which software you are using . I use Pixinsight so it is slightly different way of doing things but as I remember DSS can do it too.

The trick is to allow the software to calibrate and debayer the data but separate the R,G,B components. You will then delete the G and B data which is nothing but noise and then register and integrate the R which is now pure Ha data which is Monochrome BTW and you can colourize it to your hearts desire. This way you will still end up with some noise but it is nowhere as prominent as just throwing everything in to the pot as they say.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

A.G

Edited by lensman57
  • Like 1

I'm using the same filter on the same target (345mm focal length scope though) - did you separate the color channels before processing? In theory only red data should be getting through both the filter and the bayer matrix, the greens and blues should just be noise

the 12nm filter lets a bit more by (my greens always show up, which is why I think you have a bit of a green background on your first picture), but most of it will be noise

try separating the channels, only process the reds, then add that data back into some unfiltered RGB data. I think you'll find the image quality is what you are looking for

• Like 1