Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

another newbie

jackobeen

hello, am living in tenerife and will soon be buying a skywatcher 127 with goto mount,unless i can find anything better.

getting the scope mainly for my 12 year old son for christmas . never had a telescope before and am just learning

about astronomy.will be using the scope at first mainly for the moon and planets. am reading up on eyepieces at the moment

as i have read that the ones that come with the 127 are not very good.if anyone can tell me anything else i would need to buy

when starting out would be much appreciated.

thanks.

ps i have been reading that the image is inverted,is there anything i can buy to upright the image for terrestrial viewing.

Hi Jackobeen & welcome to SGL

I've not used the scope you mention but from what I've heard it does well on the moon, planets and some of the brighter deep sky objects, I don't think the image you will see will be inverted as there is a mirror diagonal at the back which the eyepiece sits in that stops that happening as what you will see will be the right way up, if i'm wrong then i'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along to help.

most of the eyepeices that come with packaged scopes tend to be of lesser quality than the ones you will see sold separately but will be fine to get you up and running as you learn the scope.

hope this is of any help.

clear skies

john

Hi Jackobeen and welcome to the forum.

I am assuming that you thinking about getting this scope. You can see from the picture that there is a 'triangular box' sticking out from the back of the scope with an eyepiece inserted into it, this is the diagonal which John describes above. The image you will see through the scope will be the correct way up but also reversed, (what is on the left will appear on the right). If you placed the eyepiece in the back without the 'diagonal' then the image would still be reversed but now also upside down. However there is a solution and that is a type of diagonal known as an erecting prism of which this is an example. This will show you a view that is the correct way up with correct left-to-right orientation. The eyepieces that are supplied with scope these days aren't too bad compared with the jam jars they used to supply and to be honest, I would stick with those for now and perhaps do some more research later on when you are more used to the scope and know what you need - be warned, there are some very nice pieces of glass out there that will seduce you and your wallet, so it will be best to choose wisely.  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

You might want to post your question over on the beginners equipment section for any other items you might need but in the meantime, clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Do not worry about eye pieces for the moment. Those supplied are more than adequate, especially the 25 mm. This will be the one you use most as you learn how to use your scope. Once you have a bit more experience then you can decide the eyepieces that will suit you best.

• 4 weeks later...

hello, am living in tenerife and will soon be buying a skywatcher 127 with goto mount,unless i can find anything better.

getting the scope mainly for my 12 year old son for christmas . never had a telescope before and am just learning

about astronomy.will be using the scope at first mainly for the moon and planets. am reading up on eyepieces at the moment

as i have read that the ones that come with the 127 are not very good.if anyone can tell me anything else i would need to buy

when starting out would be much appreciated.

thanks.

ps i have been reading that the image is inverted,is there anything i can buy to upright the image for terrestrial viewing.

Hello and Welcome

Like you, I am new to this forum, and also possess the system that you describe.

I can confirm that the image will not be inverted, but will be reversed from left to right, but will not present a problem.

This system is excellent for planets and also for close-ups of the Moon.

I have also achieved some good images of the above by attaching a camera to the scope.

I have also managed to get images of some of the brighter DSOs like Andromeda, Orion and star clusters.

You will enjoy this system.

Best of Luck.#

Archived