Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fantastic lunar Tonight

Pig

I was hoping to catch a sight of TB145 tonight but with the haze and firework smoke that was about earlier I didn't manage it, I spent ages looking but maybe my scopes just don't have the light sucking capability :grin:

However, as the night sky progressed the seeing improved considerably and I have had a great time just star hopping and viewing the Moon.

There are so many detached looking features tonight along the termination that it has been an absolute joy :laugh:

I am loving the XW 3.5mm with the Esprit, they sure do make a perfect combination, I hope everyone is managing to get a nice session in tonight .

Yes the same happened here :laugh: the cloud came from nowhere and put an end to any further observing.

Mind you I find a couple of hours plenty of time to view my favourite targets and have a good scout over the Lunar surface :laugh:

Well done getting some viewing in, Shaun. It was a little bit misty here so after a pitch inspection, the game was postponed, to be rearranged at the earliest possible convenience - Nov 5th is ruled out :shocked:

I did see Venus and Jupiter and what I imagine was a bright star nearby on the previous night while out imaging the moon, am still buzzing about that.

I had a good look for the asteroid for over an hour with my 4" refractor but later learned that it's brightness was dimmer than originally predicted at mag 11.5. Someone from Brisol AS managed to glimpse it with averted vision with an 8" scope but it would have been below the threshhold that my little scope was seeing to last night.

I had a look at the Moon for a while as well. The crater Cauchy and it's nearby scarp plus some nice domes were well illuminated. Also took a look around the area of the Mare Tranquillitatis that Apollo 11 landed in. Managed to spot Armstrong, Collins and Aldrin craters.

Lots of dew around last night which is unusual for my back garden as we are not usually affected too badly by it.

It would have been nice to capture it John and maybe if it had been as clear between 6 & 8pm  as it was later in the night I may have got the chance.

Mind you the link Shane posted for "Calsky" looks pretty useful and will help increase the chance of seeing one or two in the coming years :laugh:

Archived