SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Very bright meteor tonight.

In amongst all the pesky fireworks tonight, I captured a very nice Northern Taurid fireball.  Software analysis gives it a mag -5.0 rating. It was captured from Basingstoke, Hampshire with my North facing camera. I include a pic of the meteor and a ground map to show the general location. If your skies were as clear as mine then you may have seen it too.post-25425-0-50534100-1446333590_thumb.jpost-25425-0-22769800-1446333591.jpg

It was very welcome Shaun. My meteor cams were being wiped out by fireworks since early evening. There were actually some nice ones, but not quite what I was looking for. lol

Then while I was perusing and deleting the hundreds of unwanted captures I found this one. Yup, well pleased. Its not often I get one so clear and in full view.

Best one I've had for some time.

Interesting.

I wandered outside last night just in time to see a very bright fireball leaving a persistent train moving towards Polaris across Perseus. Mostly a white train with what I thought were hints of blue, which isn't typical of the fireballs I've seen in the past. It was relatively slow moving and silent (I was suspicious of fireworks).

I went back inside to note the time of 22:29 UT.

James

Good catch Chris. That's a nice clear allsky view. What cam?

It's a QHY5L-II mono, with a 1.8mm lens, 3sec exposures. That meteor of yours I noted was spread across 3 frames (2 with a bright component where it burned up, the third a glowing train which may have lasted longer but I didn't check carefully).

ChrisH

Hi Chris, I don't suppose you still have those frames?

I would like to see them.

Although my cams are extremely sensitive, the run at 1/50 and at 25 fps. one thing they struggle with is catching the persistent train that may remain after the meteor has burned up.

Oh I still have them, they are part of a 7GB AVI file which the allsky cam creates overnight, each frame is 3secs exposure and I just did a screen capture for the stills. I noted quite a few meteors but that was the brightest one I think. I'll dig them out later...

ChrisH

Archived