Altitude adjustment frozen on my new HEQ5 pro.

ncox

Hi guys! I new to this whole thing and it will take me a bit to get the swing of it.I have a question and i have no idea if this is where to ask so bare with me.I just bought my brand spanking new HEQ5 Pro.. My first issue is my altitude adjustment will not budge. Its like its painted or frozen up. Even with the altitude adjustment screws out, i can't budge it to get my latitude..Please tell me i don't have to return this thing..Has anyone experienced this, or what am i doing wrong??

Thanks

Hello, welcome to SGL, sorry your first post stems from a problem. With both adjustment screws out you should be able to move the head in altitude, it could be quite stiff and need a fair bit of effort. There is a tendency for them to overtighten the heads at the factory, the usual outcome is the bending of the screws. If you can't move it at all then I'm afraid you'll have to return it as accessing the head damages the sideplates during removal unless you are really lucky.

The altitude bolts can be quite annoying! To move the mount in attitude, you will need to loosen a bolt on one side (anti clockwise) and tighten the bolt on the other side (clockwise). 

Problem is, if you over tighten one bolt against another, you can strip the threads on the mount or bend the bolts- not a fun experience.

If that does not work, try to remove the bolts and see if they are bent. If so, then you are having a bad day and will need to buy some replacements. Luckily they are not too expensive. 

I have a Skywatcher EQ3-2 myself, so this may not relate to your problem. But I Think the designs are similar. The alt axis consists of a bolt and nut, hidden underneath the altitude-scale and a similar plastic cap on the other side.

When you increase the altitude setting, the bolt tightens itself.

In my case, I loosened both the alt-locking bolts, and gently pressed the mount head to lower altitude. Took some force to loosen it, but it worked.

Hope this helps, if no one else comes up with a more suitable solution for you mount.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will sort your problem out as per the suggestions above but you might want to consider reposting your question over on the beginners equipment section as more people visit there.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Thanks for the welcome guys! Yeah unfortunately I've tried with load, with out load, i even took it off the mount and gave it all i got and it is not budging.  I think i need to return it for another.:( And JamesM thank you i will post in the beginners equipment section although i know its not correct. I need to find my way around this forum, i will have many questions once i get a  properly working MOUNT!! Clear skies guys :)

I'd send it back to where you bought it. Unless youare prepared to damage the athetics of the mount. what needs doing is the plastic badge plates need removing and ou will see adjustment screws. not something you should have to do with a new mount.

best of luck mate

Hi, sorry to hear that! Best action would be to go back to the people you bought it from and ask them to adjust altitude, because you can't.,

They will recognize the problem, without you telling them and probably give you another one, after checking that one as well.

Besides that, I wish you lots of fun, on the forum as well as with the hobby.

Waldemar

..ah the "bendy bolts" (the last thing you want to do is bend them).. loosening one before screwing the other is normally the important rule, but if that doesn't work, then the advice above is sound. If you are going to have a "fiddle aout" then taking the scope off the mount might be a good idea - just so you don't drop the OTA (that would be a catastophe). It's also worth remembering they are different lengths, and which bolt goes in which hole to get the right "play" depends on your latitude....

..still, not being able to rack up to Polaris with a new HEQ5Pro (I had no such problem) must be annoying.

P

With both bolts out it should move with a bit of  push.  If not it sounds as if something is well and truly jammed. The tensioners underneath the side plate may be just too tight.  You can adjust them by removing the sideplates and sometimes you can get the sideplates off without too much drama BUT there is a very real risk you will bust the sideplates so as this is new I would just return it.  Dont be too worried - normally these mounts works fine out the box so you have just been very unlucky I think.

For anyone out there who has an older mount and may want to fiddle - heres a how to http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-alt.htm

My own mount had a bit of play as the altitude bolts were too loose allowing the mount to rock slightly - its the same procedure to loosen them just turn the screws the other way is all.

I'd send it back to where you bought it. Unless youare prepared to damage the athetics of the mount. what needs doing is the plastic badge plates need removing and ou will see adjustment screws. not something you should have to do with a new mount.

best of luck mate

Scott you were absolutely correct and thanks..Thats what they suggested i do. reluctantly i did it and it now works fine but i did warp the plastic from the heat of the hair dryer to loosen the glue, and the plastic doesn't fit back on. Very frustrating for a new mount. I asked if they could send me a new plastic cover so we'll see, its only cosmetic but still :(

well guys it was the main bolt adjustment behind the plastic plates (altitude markings and the Pro5 logo) the manufacture suggested i heat it up with a hair dryer and pop the covers off to expose the bolt. Reluctantly i did it and its fine, but i warped the plastic by over heating it and it won't go back on. I asked for a replacement so well see..Its only cosmetic but still. I didn't send it back only because it was in Italy and I'm in the states..Pain in the ---

Scott you were absolutely correct and thanks..Thats what they suggested i do. reluctantly i did it and it now works fine but i did warp the plastic from the heat of the hair dryer to loosen the glue, and the plastic doesn't fit back on. Very frustrating for a new mount. I asked if they could send me a new plastic cover so we'll see, its only cosmetic but still :(

Glad you got it sorted mate :). You'll want to get some sort of cover for it though. evenif its only taping some plastic over it. it'll keep out the dust and moisture. 

Good to hear you're up and running though. it's a great mount andshould keep you happy for a goodwhile :)

Archived