SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

October 30, 2015, heads-up: Huge detached prom and massive AR

Just had a morning tea break in which the tea went cold because of the spectacle on the sun. The Lunt SUNoculars showed a large new AR, showing multiple spots and a region of faculae, in the south-east (it has been spotted before, but this was my first). The SM-II 60 showed a wealth of detail, two big spots with some smaller fry, and loads of angry-looking bright plage. One bit in particular showed parallel strands of bright plasma coiling in a way that suggests a flare could go off any time. Despite this great display, the AR was upstaged by a huge detached prom floating over the western limb: a large delicate arch of plasma drifting at quite a distance from the surface. Northwards another prom could be seen, looking like a squat bank of storm cloud on the limb. In the east, near the big AR another prom showed as a small arc. Quite some action, well worth a look. Will try again come lunchtime

Just had another look. The conditions were hazier, but the detached prom is still there. I could not make out 3 sunspots in the new AR with the SUNoculars, but the H-alpha scopes shows just two, and a host of filaments and plage were the third one should be. There is also a little region of plage just east of centre, and quite a few smaller proms, visible even in the haze. Most interesting were two bright bulges on or near the western limb. The first that caught my eye was quite a way to the north, and showed up simply as a small bulge on the limb, clearly brighter than the immediate surroundings. At first it seemed to be growing and brightening a bit, but then it subsided. The second I spotted was just north of the detached prom. A very compact bright region with a thin, bright spike emerging from it was visible. I watched it, half expecting to see some fireworks, until clouds drifted in.

I think the fun for today is over, given the build up of cloud to the west. Enjoyable lunchtime, especially with a few students and colleagues joining in in the fun.

Thanks for the "heads up" Sunday/Monday looks quite promising at last.

Sounds like we missed some fireworks yesterday as well accrding to spaceweather.com http://spaceweather.com/  "The explosion was so strong, it peppered Earth with energetic particles despite the fact that the blast site was hidden behind the body of the sun."  Also chance of aurora early next month as well due to a CME, which left the sun on Oct. 27th. And also High-speed solar wind flowing an emerging coronal hole will reach Earth on Nov. 3-4.

Never a dull moment when it comes to our nearest star!

Several views this afternoon in clear patches between fast moving cloud. The detached prom and the disc environment below it were vying for attention with the new active area that was crackling away on the opposite side. Spoilt for choice, never mind channel hopping with a remote, hard to keep up with the action.   :smiley:

Archived