SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ovoids with Mesu and Tak FSQ 85

40 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Humph, robotic focus. Any of you guys host five robotic scopes? I do, and I also host five fingers on each hand and they are not connected by USB....

:Dlly

Jings Olly, you'll be railing against plate solving next.  I sense you must be running low on Springbank.  We'll have to see what we can do about that.

• Like 1

Yes I know, I'm a dinosaur - but all this 'stuff' can (and often does) eat up a perfectly good night's imaging. Software automation can be like kids and homework. They will spend more time and effort on finding ways not to do it theselves than it would have taken just to do it.

Now Springbank never did anybody any harm.*

Olly

*This is not a quotation from the BMA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Now Springbank never did anybody any harm.*

Olly

*This is not a quotation from the BMA.

I've considered your symptoms carefully, and we may have to think about changing the pescription to 'Longrow' pro re nata - which is quack talk for 'as required'.

Edited by gnomus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2016 at 21:22, ollypenrice said:

Yes I know, I'm a dinosaur - but all this 'stuff' can (and often does) eat up a perfectly good night's imaging. Software automation can be like kids and homework. They will spend more time and effort on finding ways not to do it theselves than it would have taken just to do it.

^^^^THIS

Nothing but trouble from my PC the other night.  Everything had been working perfectly during the nights before, capturing subs within five minutes of rolling the roof off.  Yet, Sunday night, IT (as in Information Technology) would not play ball and my camera would not connect to the PC no matter what I did. I had made no changes whatsoever to the rig beforehand.  Several reboots of the machine and it auto-magically started working, just like that.  By that time the clouds had rolled in.  Doh, AP in the UK.......

21 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

^^^^THIS

Nothing but trouble from my PC the other night.  Everything had been working perfectly during the nights before, capturing subs within five minutes of rolling the roof off.  Yet, Sunday night, IT (as in Information Technology) would not play ball and my camera would not connect to the PC no matter what I did. I had made no changes whatsoever to the rig beforehand.  Several reboots of the machine and it auto-magically started working, just like that.  By that time the clouds had rolled in.  Doh, AP in the UK.......

Been there .... done that..... You hadn't had one of those Windows 10 updates by any chance, had you?

• 3 years later...

I realise this is an old thread, but just read through it all, as I have been lucky enough to buy a secondhand TAK FSQ85 two years old, (the newer blue paint version) mint condition and with loads of extras, Dew heater and controller, guide ring set up, parallax FSQ rings, Losmandy dovetail, and more bits, for the sum of £1500, so I think I have got a good deal...

Now I have not had first light yet, and when I do I hope all is ok, but I guess for the price I have paid, if it does have small issues as seen in this thread ( @gnomus ‘s issues excluded)  then it will be a tad easier to swallow, as if I have paid  the full 4k, of a new set up, I would be very disgruntled.

Now one thing I have noticed when looking down the tube while inspecting with a torch, is a small smear of glue protruding about 1-2mm onto one of the elements, and about 15mm in length,  I assume from where the lens elements have been set in place, now this seems well outside of any imaging circle.... or am I wrong in thinking that...?

😀👍