Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Bristol

pellwood

Hi Everyone,

Bristol based backyard astronomer here. Just thought I would say hello.

I've been browsing the forums for a month or so picking up plenty of useful info and thought it was time I introduced myself. I have a 4" refractor which i use mainly form lunar, solar and planetary observing, but would ideally love to branch out into AP with a decent reflector. So i will probably be pestering you all from some advice from time to time

Regards

Pete

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Pete and welcome to SGL - If you are thinking of trying AP, nebula's and galaxies in particular, then can I recommend the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available form the book section of the FLO website. This is something of an imagers bible and really should be read once, twice or thrice before spending a penny on equipment. 

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Pete from a fellow Bristolian. Astrophotography or the 'Dark Art' as we sometimes call it, does involve quite a steep learning curve in the early stages and the quickest route to imaging success is by starting with a mount that can track the night sky precisely. Certainly worth asking some questions over on the imaging sections regarding kit and techniques so as to get the necessary overview on the this area of astronomy before you spend any money - don't want your first image of a black hole being the one in your wallet!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hello Pete.  I'm from Western New York (Buffalo area) USA.  Welcome to SGL.  I picked up a lot of great information and advice here.  So ask away and lots of experienced guys will give advice and suggestions for equipment, technique, software etc.

Archived