Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The moon is very bright!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a Newt could you leave the main aperture cover on and just take the little cap off to reduce the light or would that not work?

That is what has just been discussed. It does reduce the brightness of the moon, but it also reduces the resolution of the image you see so at high mag there will be less detail.

Best ways to dim the moon are to get the magnification up, or if needed use a variable polarising filter or Neodymium filter. This allows full aperture and resolution

It's interesting that we are talking about either stopping down or filtering a 76mm scope for viewing the Moon. It's a little bright at first glance but the eye soon adjusts to that. I can think of accessories more beneficial for a scope of that aperture than a Moon filter to be honest. I don't find I need a Moon filter even with my 300mm (12") aperture scope :icon_scratch:

Looking back at the original movie of your scope, I'd say that the finder would be the 1st thing I'd replace. I'd not go overboard but just try and find a replacement for the poor quality optical finder that these scopes come fitted with. A simple red dot type finder would be an improvement and would help you to point the scope more easily and accurately and thus find more things to look at with it :smiley:

I'll see if I can find a link to something that will simply replace the finder thats on there without the need for drilling etc.

I'll see if I can find a link to something that will simply replace the finder thats on there without the need for drilling etc.

Ok. On this website:

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot

There is a finder that is described as "SW QR & 2 hole fit red dot finder". Here is a picture of it:

post-118-0-89691400-1446635298.jpg

With post and packing the total cost is £11.50. The base fitted to the finder in the picture should enable it to be a straight swap for the finder / finder bracket that is currently on the scope. The two chrome nuts that hold the original in place should hole the new one in place too. The spare base that comes with the finder will enable it to be used with another scope if you get one in future.

Once you have fitted the finder, you will need to align it with the main scope. This can be done in daylight by getting a distant object (a few hundred metres away or more and it will be upside down and back to front) in view in the low power eyepiece of the scope and then using 2 small wheels on the finder (one on the side at the front and one underneath, at the back end) to adjust it's up and down and left and right tilt until the red dot is resting on the same thing that the main scope is pointing at. The 3rd wheel turns the red dot on and off and adjusts the brightness.

I honestly think the above upgrade will make a lot of difference to the ease with which you can find things to look at with the scope in the night sky. It costs around the same as a simple moon filter too !

Ahh thanks John, but the wonderful people on here have already provided me with a new finder scope with their immense generosity :D So I'm good in that department now.

The only things I can really think would be worthwhile to spend out on is some new eyepieces, but what's really taken my imagination just recently is solar filters! Lots of folk seem to be saying it's easy to make your own but I'm a bit scared (wisely) and am thinking better to spend a little extra on a 'proper' one first before attempting to make a diy version as it seems a little dangerous to make a mistake on!

It really is easy to make your own.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baader-Planetarium-AstroSolar-Filter-Observation/dp/B002SYD2EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446638548&sr=8-1&keywords=baader+astrosolar+film

This is the stuff you need.  Then you just need to place it over the front of your scope.  The important thing is to fix it to the scope, using a removable cover of some description (you can make one from card)

It really is that easy.

Thanks guys/gals!

Yea I'm taking maximum caution with the sun, but I guess it's the same as most things in life haha, you can spend £50 or make one out of an empty fairy bottle :D

And yes due to the lack of planets at a respectable time just now, combined with the rubbish weather I thought there's likely more chance of getting some good solar views sooner!

Thanks guys/gals!

Yea I'm taking maximum caution with the sun, but I guess it's the same as most things in life haha, you can spend £50 or make one out of an empty fairy bottle :D

And yes due to the lack of planets at a respectable time just now, combined with the rubbish weather I thought there's likely more chance of getting some good solar views sooner!

The thing is that the solar film is not inexpensive itself. £18.50 from First Light Optics:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

A single sheet would make more than 1 filter though.

I agree 100% about caution where anything to do with the Sun is concerned.

Your scope will show some other astro objects quite nicely though. Some of the brighter deep sky objects such as the double cluster in Perseus, the Andromeda Galaxy M31, the large cluster in Gemini M35 and the wonderful Orion Nebula M42 will all show in your scope.

Of course you need clear skies for those as well !

Best ways to dim the moon are to get the magnification up, or if needed use a variable polarising filter or Neodymium filter. This allows full aperture and resolution

On a Newt could you leave the main aperture cover on and just take the little cap off to reduce the light or would that not work?

That is what has just been discussed. It does reduce the brightness of the moon, but it also reduces the resolution of the image you see so at high mag there will be less detail.

Doh! maybe I should read more than just page 1 before jumping in with my size 10's :grin:

Archived