Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from New Zealand

Andywilliams

Hi there,

My name is Andy and I have been a keen but lazy backyard astronomer for many years. I am originally from England where I grew up on a diet of Patrick Moore and the sky at night...... I borrowed a great 12 inch Dob and also my fathers spotting scope that he used for birdwatching, successfully using the spotting scope to locate Halley's Comet in the 80's.

I have been living in Aotearoa New Zealand since 1991 and am now lucky enough to live in rural Hawkes bay under some wonderfully clean and clear skies. This has encouraged me to invest some pocket money into a skywatcher 127 mak on the synscan alt az mount. Having just upgraded my eyepieces I am enjoying wandering around the southern skies. I am very interested in trying my hand at webcam planetary photography. I am also keen to become proficient at star hopping before I spend some more money on hopefully some good aperture, for instance a large dob. I look forward to chatting and to using the obviously huge amount of talent contained on this site. Best wishes to you all. Andy :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Andy! Hello Leo82.   Welcome to SGL.  So New Zealand eh?  Beautiful place.  I have a friend who lives in Christchurch.  I'm from Western New York (Buffalo area) USA.  I picked up a lot of great information and advice here. Lots of experienced guys will give advice and suggestions for equipment, astro-books and charts, software and how-to.  So much to learn but very enjoyable hobby.

Archived