28/10/2015 - A couple of hour with an old friend

gooseholla

Hi all,

What with the Moon being so bright and dewing issues, DSO hunting wasn't going to be an option. Andromeda looked rubbish in any eyepiece I tried. So I gave up and waited for the Moon to rise high enough that I could view it from my back garden.

I used two eyepieces, both new to me. A 6.7mm Explore Scientific 82 degree and a 12mm Nagler T2. I didn't use a lunar filter because in 2" mode the Nagler still needs 1.25" eyepieces and I couldn't be bothered to hunt for it, and I really couldn't be bothered to put one on the 6.7mm and get a different look than the 12mm. The telescope I used was an 18" reflector, 1838mm focal length. This meant I observed the Moon at 274x and 153x.

North

I started in the northern regions because this is where I happened to focus on first! With the 6.7mm in I noticed straight away a bright white crater on its own with a ray system. To the East of this crater was a series of 5 smaller craters leading to a kind of raised area. Looking at he lunar map section 6 in Patrick Moore on the Moon, the description and location fit that of Anaxagoras. The ray system was not as impressive as Tycho (nor Copernicus or Kepler in my opinion), and I noted that it was longer E-W than N-S. The rays were a lighter grey colour than the surrounding area and they contained hints of white streaks every so often.

Crossing the Mare Frigoris I headed to the dark grey crater Plato. It was surrounded by a white band all the way around and seen in the central areas were two or three very small white spots. Moving on the nearby Tenerife Mountains shone a bright white, like icebergs floating in a sea. These two provided a distinct contrast in the same view, a nice dark circle and white mountains.

Frigoris itself turned a lighter grey to the West, I believe as it meets the Sinus Roris, becoming much lighter than Frigoris itself or any of the nearby seas.

East

I then moved East and picked up the terminator just north of Crisium. A larger crater caught my eye which was pitch black, with white walls and a central peak shining white out of the surrounding darkness. It was just on the terminator line. The description and location in section 1 of Patrick Moore on the Moon suggest that this was the crater Plutarch. To the north were two smaller craters, or even just shadows in the walls. The crater had bright white walls to the East and South West, while the North West was a grey colour.

I actually went elsewhere on the Moon first, but I might as well deal with the observations in quadrants rather than jump all the place.

By this time I had switched to the 12mm eyepiece. Observing the seas of Serenity, Tranquillity and Fertility, I noted that each was a different colour, with Tranquillity being the darkest. It was bordered to the east by a lighter patch, though darker than Crisium, appearing the same shade of grey as the Mare Frigoris. Fertility was crossed by a network of bright grey/white rays or lines. It made a lovely effect in the 12mm. There was a lovely white crater at the bottom of the sea of Serenity. Though not as bright or white as Aristarchus it was still a lovely object to look at. Hard to choose between Manilus or Menelaus as the candidate for this one.

A large crater by the sea of Nectar. My imagination was running wild at this point and I imagined the near perfect round shape with central darker area as a spaceport for a base on the Moon. Reality kicked in and told me I was looking at Theophilus, but I like my 'reality' better :grin:

South

Tycho was splendid in both 6.7mm and 12mm eyepieces. The rays could be seen spreading across long distances of the Moon. Just North of Tycho, again my imagination running wild, 3 dark spots and two white spots made an emoticon like face, best resembling :cool: this but in mirror image. To the South West were lots of little dark patches, perhaps craters or tiny lonely seas.

West

Aristarchus was the brightest thing in this area. I noted that above it to the North West was a sort of 3D diamond shape, unlike anything in the surrounding area. The areas around were quite smooth and dark grey, this suddenly appeared ruffled and a brownish sort of colour. To me in the 12mm it had a leaf like pattern, with light grey features making up the veins. Running off of this to the West was a long white line.

There were two small 'seas' near the Western limb, one a lot larger than the other though both were notable amongst the white surroundings. This was the pair of Grimaldi and Riccioli.

Copernicus and Kepler formed a lovely pair and the rays of each were impressive.

Sweeping across the Moon, it was fascinating to see so many changes in tone and colour. Bright white dots, dark grey patches, lighter greys and some places almost bordering on blue-grey. It truly is amazing how much detail can be seen on the Moon, even when it is very bright.

John

The Moon is far from 'dead' - each night presents a different view as the shadows move. So dynamic. And, for a 'dead' world it is probably the object that inspires and brings the subject alive to people, apart from maybe Jupiter or Saturn. As you say, it repays careful observation.

Really enjoy your reports John, always packed with details of what you've seen, great stuff! :)

I used to curse the moon but these days really enjoy lunar observing, the more you learn about the moon the more rewarding it gets.

Archived