Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Warm welcome for my obsy visitors.....

laser_jock99

I normally put sultanas, currants or raisins on our traps. Squash them onto the spike so it takes the mice a little time to get the food...too long in their case!

Edit:

By the way I thought this was going to be an 'awhh' moment with a lovely butterfly or similar over wintering in your obsy.

+1 for peanut butter if using traps but if you really want to get rid of them, use multiple boxes of Decon. On the floor in corners & those hard to reach spaces where they feel safe work best just make sure the area is not accessible to children or pets. Also, be prepared to discover a dead body when & where you least suspect it or the occasional one that's not quite dead when you find him. The undiscovered ones really start to stink after a few days but you can usually find them by the odor - but if not it will eventally go away on its own.

Sounds cruel & unappealing I know - but you'll never get them all with traps because the smart ones will figure it out no matter how appetizing you make it look. I mean if you just saw your next door neighbor there yesterday with a broken neck & hunk of cheese between his teeth, are you really gonna make the same mistake? Mice may have small brains but they’re not completely stupid or else they wouldn’t be so plentiful.

But with Decon, by the time they figure it out they’ve all had time to partake with no apparent consequences & that’s why it’s so effective. You have to get them all or the survivors will quickly reproduce continuing the vicious cycle.

http://www.d-conproducts.com/products/family-low-traffic-rooms/disposable-bait-stations/

+1 for peanut butter if using traps but if you really want to get rid of them, use multiple boxes of Decon. On the floor in corners & those hard to reach spaces where they feel safe work best just make sure the area is not accessible to children or pets. Also, be prepared to discover a dead body when & where you least suspect it or the occasional one that's not quite dead when you find him. The undiscovered ones really start to stink after a few days but you can usually find them by the odor - but if not it will eventally go away on its own.

Sounds cruel & unappealing I know - but you'll never get them all with traps because the smart ones will figure it out no matter how appetizing you make it look. I mean if you just saw your next door neighbor there yesterday with a broken neck & hunk of cheese between his teeth, are you really gonna make the same mistake? Mice may have small brains but they’re not completely stupid or else they wouldn’t be so plentiful.

But with Decon, by the time they figure it out they’ve all had time to partake with no apparent consequences & that’s why it’s so effective. You have to get them all or the survivors will quickly reproduce continuing the vicious cycle.

http://www.d-conproducts.com/products/family-low-traffic-rooms/disposable-bait-stations/

Thanks- we are already part way through a 10kg tub of rat / mouse poison.

Sounds like I've been preaching to the choir so please disregard my rodent eradication dissertation...  :grin:

Yes- the little beggars like to come inside the house over winter too.

Finding long dead mice is not pleasant- at least with a trap you know where the bodies are. The trouble with poison is that they can pass away in inacessable places.

Tough smelly cheese also works well on the trap, when they pass away in inaccessible places the next thing you get is loads of flies, best to trap them and dispose of them carefully.

Anyone who has not used a trap before, check traps frequently. I had one trap catch a mouse by it's back leg.  

You want rid of them but without any unnecessary suffering.

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

You want rid of them but without any unnecessary suffering.

I don't like to be killing these mice - but they cause so much damage they have be got rid of.

So far they have ruined all the saddles on the bikes in the bike shed, put holes in the all garden furniture upholstery, chewed through the rubber fuel lines on the mower, eaten away a lot of pipe insulation etc. etc. Now they have started on the obsy!

Archived