Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC7822 BiColour - Take1

Sp@ce_d

I've been going through the "Goody Bag" of data ACP has been slowly collecting for me whilst I give it Zzzz's :grin:  Looking for something to do whilst the Moon & clouds are spoiling the show.. and I've found a surprising 12 hours of Ha & OIII on NGC7822 from the first week or so of this month. There's some RGB in there too I'll also need to check out... Hmmm.

So I've had a bit of a play in PI & PS. Not too sure about the outcome at this time of night so I'll call this take 1.

As always C&C most welcome if I've any chance to improve at this processing lark..  :embarassed:

Esprit 80

Atik 314L+

Baader Ha & OIII

25x900

23x900

get.jpg

I think it could do with a little more blue - It looks a little muddy at this stage in my opinion :) Nice to be able to just find data that you didn't know you had :D :D

Cheers Sara.. I shall go have a play with the blue. It looks a bit different on every screen I've tried it on so far.

I dunno about you, but I always get an impression of taste & smell when I try & process this stuff. I get a very sooty, welding, coaly (is that a word?) metallic & dusty fire feeling that seems to influence the colours (or lack of mostly) I pull out.

Yup, it is nice to find out what's in the "net" after a nights photon fishing. I've built up quite a shopping list now that I've been feeding to ACP . It decides when the conditions are right to go out shopping for me. :grin:  It's quite surprising how many half hour clear spells there can be in between going to bed under thick cloud & waking up under thick cloud!

It looks like the noise reduction has taken over and smoothed out the details

Interesting observation. Added to list for Take2.

I was going to post a version that had more sharpening but I went back & undid it at the last minute as it didn't seem quite right. I was wondering whether the sample rate of 3.33"/pix with this scope would have a bearing on fine sharpening not looking right? Anyway you're right I'd like to see some more finer detail come out in this.

For NR I normally use AWT & MMT in PI before the first bit of stretching. I also used a bit more AWT & ACDNR after and then another small tweak of the histogram.  I do tend to make things a bit lumpy if I'm not careful. Which I think is a danger on the right third & bottom left starfields in this one.

With the amount of data you have the channels should be pretty smooth anyway. I would like to see an image with no noise reduction just to see what it's like

ok.. I've just been looking back to remember what I actually did with these as it was silly o'clock last night.

I'm not sure this was the best thing to do now. I processed each one first before combining. So NR (& stretching) was done on each of the Ha and OIII separately (also ran linear fit on OIII to match Ha first).

So for no NR we need go back to the integrated linear fits. I can stick stuff on dropbox if you want.

Here's a quick STF of Ha

post-11176-0-48583400-1445986322_thumb.p

This has the makings of a brilliant image but I also echo Sarah's points. If noise reduction was applied I would turn it down a tad. Olly once advised me not to be frightened to show a bit of grain in space. Amazing capture none the less.

Regards,

A.G

This has the makings of a brilliant image but I also echo Sarah's points. If noise reduction was applied I would turn it down a tad. Olly once advised me not to be frightened to show a bit of grain in space. Amazing capture none the less.

Regards,

A.G

There's some nice stuff in this area. I've been frustratingly eyeing it up for a while now but the weather & kit I wanted to use on it hasn't been playing ball. I've got other data at different FL but not enough. Now I have the QSI I want to get that pointed on it.

If that is a stack of 25 x 900s I would suggest going through the individual frames one by one and check them, it may be that some are better than others and if you stacked just (say) the best 10 subs you could end up with a sharper result.

ChrisH

Just adding my two pennies - I recently processed

www.astrobin.com/217679/D/

I found that I could be quite aggressive with sharpening so long as well masked.  The key for me though on this image was TVGD with masked support (use clone of imaged clipped just a little).  This sorted the NR very well with little effort.

Paddy​

Archived