Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

michael.h.f.wilkinson

First impressions of the Baader Morpheus 14mm

I have been able to use the Baader Morpheus 14mm on some solar and lunar viewing through hazy skies today. In H-alpha and white light the views were excellent, and very comfortable. The sunspots stayed sharp to close to the edge, where they lost a touch of sharpness. Lunar views were equally good in the centre of the FOV. Only when the the moon was moved way off centre did craters become slightly blurry at a short distance from  the field stop. Needless to say the XW10 I compared it to did not show this behaviour at the edge, but were extremely sharp throughout. Conditions were not ideal to make a real judgement, but over most of the FOV the Morpheus matched the XW. I also tried the Nagler 12T4, and found this distinctly less comfortable after the huge ER of the XW and Morpheus. The moon showed more distortion at the edge of the FOV (not lack of sharpness, just general egg-shape). The Morpheus is slightly better on that count. The XW is near perfect in terms of lack of distortion. The Morpheus is nearly parfocal with the XWs. A slight nudging of the fine control is enough. By contrast, the Delos 8 needs a lot of motion (at least half an inch, perhaps more).

All in all a pleasing first impression of the Morpheus. It can definitely play with the big boys!

• Like 3

Interesting findings Michael :smiley:

What scope were you using for these comparisons ?

I was using the APM 80mm F/6

I'd assume there's some field curvature from 80mm f6? How much do you see the the impact of FC on the eyepieces' in the edge?

I'd assume there's some field curvature from 80mm f6? How much do you see the the impact of FC on the eyepieces' in the edge?

I didn't notice field curvature problems in either the XWs, or the Nagler I used, so I assume the slight degradation of sharpness towards the edge in the Morpheus is due to the EP

• Like 1

Good write up Michael

Could it be that the Nagler has had its day?

I can see that people will go for the comfort and economy (relative) of these eyepieces.

Paul

Good write up Michael

Could it be that the Nagler has had its day?

I can see that people will go for the comfort and economy (relative) of these eyepieces.

Paul

Not sure. The Nagler 12T4 is really great for deep sky, especially small planetaries, but I never use it much on the moon (unlike the 22T4, which I use a lot for whole disk observation in the C8). I also feel the 12T4 is not quite as good as the 17T4 and the 22T4. I might perhaps replace the 12T4 by the 12.5mm Baader Morpheus, but I am not sure. I am sometimes tempted by the Nikon NAV HW 17 and 12.5. Not exactly the cheaper option. I would want to test eye relief, however

Interesting report Michael but I don't think I will changing my teams colours any time soon.

alan

Another question Michael,

Was it in 1.25" focuser you tested the eyepieces? Can you check focuser travel differences using Morpheus in 2", I'd guess that you need to rack out quite a lot?

I tested the EPs in the 2" Amici prism I use with the 80mm most often. In the case of the XWs, Delos, and Morpheus I used a 1.25" to 2" adapter. For comparison with the 12T4 (also a dual barrel design) I removed the adapter. You do have to rack the focuser out quite a bit, but it came to focus not too far from the 12T4. I could measure the exact distance. I was a bit worried that the 1.25" barrel might hit the brism in 2" mode, but that was not a problem

Sounds like a quality eyepiece. Don't suppose any one has compared them to the Vixen LVWs, which are the same price?

Sounds like a quality eyepiece. Don't suppose any one has compared them to the Vixen LVWs, which are the same price?

I have one Vixen LVW, but that is quite a way off in terms of focal length. They have only a 65 deg FOV, compared to 76 of the Morpheus. What with the Morpheus being close, or even equal to XWs in performance over most of the field, I would think the Morpheus would be a better choice than the LVWs (which are also excellent)

Interesting report Michael but I don't think I will changing my teams colours any time soon.

alan

I have a very mixed team now:

Tele-Vue: Naglers 31T5, 22T4, 17T4 and 12T4, Delos 8mm

Pentax: XWs 10, 7, 5

Vixen: LVW 42mm, SLV 5mm (for travel and solar H-alpha in SolarMax-II 60mm), and 25mm Ortho (solar in Solar Spectrum set-up)

Baader: Morpheus 14mm

MaxVision: 24mm 68 deg (travel)

William Optics: Zoom-II 7.5-22.5 (for travel and solar H-alpha in SolarMax-II 60mm)

Orion Optics: 2" Amici Prism (WO-built, by the look of it)

Denkmeier: 2" Filter-Switch diagonal

I tested the EPs in the 2" Amici prism I use with the 80mm most often. In the case of the XWs, Delos, and Morpheus I used a 1.25" to 2" adapter. For comparison with the 12T4 (also a dual barrel design) I removed the adapter. You do have to rack the focuser out quite a bit, but it came to focus not too far from the 12T4. I could measure the exact distance. I was a bit worried that the 1.25" barrel might hit the brism in 2" mode, but that was not a problem

Thanks.

45mm nosepiece length in 2" mode according to Baader's Morpheus specification, that's quite enough, My test with VIP barlow showed there're close to 55mm for the 2" nosepies with 2" Clicklock.

Can you have a look at some straight lines in day times? My calculation showed some barrel distortion instead of pincushion distorition, would be good to know how paper work conforms reality. :smiley:

• Like 2

Thanks.

45mm nosepiece length in 2" mode according to Baader's Morpheus specification, that's quite enough, My test with VIP barlow showed there're close to 55mm for the 2" nosepies with 2" Clicklock.

Can you have a look at some straight lines in day times? My calculation showed some barrel distortion instead of pincushion distorition, would be good to know how paper work conforms reality. :smiley:

I will have a look at some straight lines later today

Just to confirm - the 10mm XW showed no ovalling near its edge on the sun? and the Morpheus just a bit? All this information is great and I look forward to the straight line test, can we sneak the XW in there too? :smiley:

Just to confirm - the 10mm XW showed no ovalling near its edge on the sun? and the Morpheus just a bit? All this information is great and I look forward to the straight line test, can we sneak the XW in there too? :smiley:

I did not spot any distinct ovalling near the edge of the moon (I had more time on lunar than on solar observing) in the XW. The Baader had slight distortion. In fact I only spotted it after I had a look with the Nagler which showed it really noticeably. I then went back to the others for a quick check. Didn't check the Delos, however. I will check the lot on straight lines later

• Like 1

Thanks Michael. My Delos oval the sun distinctly, Nagler chooses to put it in there as a trade off. Very nice to know about the Pentax XW, Morpheus- I tested all my EP's and have yet to find any real barrel distortion, most all show pincushion.

The XW sounds similar to the Docter 12.5UWA in this regard- down the road it will be interesting to see if the Morpheus in a Parracored Newt still shows FC or whatever it is.

Thanks for taking the time to test the eyepieces Michael. :smiley:

BTW, the difference in focus position between 2" and 1.25" modes is some 30mm (25mm for the 2" barrel length plus some 5mm for the height of the adapter flange. In 2" mode it reaches focus just 2 or 3 mm from the focus position of the 12mm T4 Nagler. The other two T4s need 20mm or so deeper in-focus.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Just checked the distortion. Results posted here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/255738-comparison-of-distortion-between-morpheus-nagler-delos-xw-and-lvw/

Thank you Michalel, I'm glad the Morpheus 14 doesn't disappoint.

Did you see astigmatism at the edge of the field? The 6.5 mm stays sharp until the image meets the field stop, which itself  isn't sharp.

I'll forgive Baader for that. The centre 72° are just as sharp as a Delos (to my eye).

Happy observing.

Did you see astigmatism at the edge of the field? The 6.5 mm stays sharp until the image meets the field stop, which itself  isn't sharp.

I'll forgive Baader for that. The centre 72° are just as sharp as a Delos (to my eye).

Happy observing.

i really liked the 6.5mm and to be honest it was a tough decision to replace it with a 7mm XW.

I guess I did see some slight astigmatism but it didn't bother me, I can forgive some aberrations that I see in EP's as long as they aren't too bad, seeing the field stop and viewing comfort are probably the two main points I like with my EP's. :)

But yeah the 6.5mm Morpheus was the pick of the bunch from what I tried tbh. 

Happy observing.

My field stop seems sharp enough, but I would need to test on stars before I can make conclusions on astigmatism. It doesn't look good at the moment. I hope I can get the scope out for the passing asteroid on Halloween, but forecasts are getting worse as the day approaches.