SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Naked eye La Palma Milky Way

Roel

On my trip to La Palma last summer one of the observing nights near the Roque de los Muchachos (alt. 2200m) was interrupted with a short period of very windy weather. Telescopic observations were almost impossible.The sky however, remained perfectly clear and I decided to wait for the weather to calm and to take shelter behind some rocks leaving the telescope behind. I kind of layed with my back against the rocks, perfectly free from the wind gustst. The view was spectacular! The summer Milky Way at its best hovering over the foggy Caldera, whistling winds blowing over the peaks behind me. It was a scene and experience I will never forget.

The sketch is made whith a graphite pencil. Except it being digitally inverted at home, this is the unaltered field sketch.

Just after the sketch was completed, the weather slowly improved and I was able to observe behind the telescope for the rest of the night. It was almost like the island just wanted me to experience this... smile.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived