Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Twist - lock Adapter

Patbloke

During the last couple of years I have been upgrading my Astro equipment collection... I have bought and sold a few items and now try to keep to the rule of sell before I buy (ish)

I'm going to now sing the praises of a simple affordable item I purchased second hand for £20 (although not much more new)

The item is The Twist - lock Adapter which sits inside my 2" focuser allowing me to slip inside any of my 1.25" eye pieces.

It's fabulous and I would recommend anyone who hasn't got one to put it on their Christmas list. It sits in the focuser and you simply do as it says 'twist to open' allowing you to change your eye piece then twist the other direction to lock it securely in position. No more twiddly screw's to tighten.

The model I have in an Antares but I believe there are other makes out there :-)

I have the version from Skys The Limit. 

I struggled with it being really stiff for ages before I opened it up and dabbed a little lithium grease on the bearings and threads, now its like a completely different piece of kit, silky smooth and a pleasure to use.

Wish I'd added the grease months ago.

Which ever one you get, you'll be happy with it. I got the Baader one - it came with a second hand scope I purchased I while ago. I was really happy with the scope but delighted with the click-lock as I hadn't intended on ever getting one (never even thought about it) but now I wouldn't do without it. I'll probably get another one or two for my other scopes. They are that good.

...These self centring adaptors are made by a number of manufacturers including Baader, Lacerta, Orion, also the Howie Glatter Parallelizer to name but a few.

Correction - "parallizer" is not a self centering device.

It is an excellent contraption to ensure "repeatable parallel alignment of accessories within a drawtube" but not self-centering.

See:

Howie Glatter's web page

You're quite right bambuko, I stand corrected, I just did a quick search of FLO and on the surface it looked to be the same.

The sky's the limit adaptor seems to be simpler than the Orion version, but is similar to many of the cheaper ones.

My Sky's the limit purchase has arrived and thank's to Ade's little tip, I applied some

lithium grease and hey presto, a very good addition to my kit, just need some clear

sky's now, thank's again Ade. 

Archived