sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

I think I have this correct. If not please correct me

Say I have $ 350.00 in buy a telescope

1  A 100mm reflector for $ 350.00

2  A 150mm DOB  for $ 350.00

both close to f 5 or F 6

For geneal viewing the DOB is the better choice ? Both have pros and cons

Thanks again

Both are reflecting telescopes. Dob refers to the Dobsonian mount invented by US astronomer John Dobson. So given that the optical systems are the same and assuming the same quality, the 150mm will out perform the 100mm and offers the best performance per $ spent.

If you can afford it, go for a 200 Dobsonian. In GB/UK 'we' have the Sky-Watcher brand; and at £279.00GBP for a Skyliner SW200P they are very popular this side of the Atlantic.

• Like 1

Get the biggest aperture available for your money. The Dob comes with a simple relatively cheap to produce mount. That is why you get a bigger mirror for the same price.

...and it requires no setting up! (apart from the 'c' word* now and again).

* collimation

Edited by Philip R

The Dob mount is not only cheaper, it is better on all counts than a cheap, underspecified equatorial and a cheap underspecified equatorial will not, in reality, work for photography anyway.

Olly

• Like 2

Thank you ALL very much for the replys

Well.............. I am definitely going with a DOB

The Orion Skyblaster 6 looks nice   150mm   weighs approx 20 lbs fully assembled

but for $ 45.00 more the Sky-Watcher Dobsonian 200mm  weighs approx 40 lbs fully assembled

the 40 lbs is my concern

The 200mm Dob does by all accounts seem to be the most popular scope. I had no idea the 200 was twice the weight of the 150.

20 Lbs is ok. 40 is not too good. Thats fully assembled though. Not many people carry a 200mm Dob fully assembled. Its done in 2 parts.

The right scope is the one you can afford and can manage. No point having something you cant use.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Thank you ALL very much for the replys

Well.............. I am definitely going with a DOB

The Orion Skyblaster 6 looks nice   150mm   weighs approx 20 lbs fully assembled

but for $ 45.00 more the Sky-Watcher Dobsonian 200mm  weighs approx 40 lbs fully assembled

the 40 lbs is my concern

The figure for the 150mm Starblast is lower because it's on a table top mount rather than a full size dob mount. The 150 Starblast lists at 23.5 lbs, the 150 full size dob mount one at 34 lbs and the 200 full size dob at 40 lbs.

The general advice for dobs is to get the largest you can afford, each additional 2" of aperture will go a little bit deeper and show you just a little bit more. You come to a point though where the price of those extra inches starts to escalate wildly. A 6" scope will give you plenty to look at and keep you happy. As pretty much everyone else has said though, 8" is reckoned to give the best bang for your buck, and I think your budget may stretch to it.

The weight of the 8" shouldn't present the average person with any problems, remember it splits down into two pieces and so won't weigh quite so much as all that. I have the 10" Skywatcher, and separated into two pieces it's completely comfortable. If you can lift a sack of potatoes you'll be fine. It's a bit awkward moving it around when it's fully assembled though, but that is more due to the problem of your legs and the base trying to occupy the same space than the weight of it all.

Thank you for all the replys

I took a look at the Sky-Watcher Dobsonian 200mm . It is HUGE .  compared the the Orion Skyblaster 6

For portability the Orion Skyblaster 6 works better for me, being my first scope

Later a 200 would be nice, and I can always use the 150 as my grab and go scope

thats my story and I am sticking to it  :)

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replys

I took a look at the Sky-Watcher Dobsonian 200mm . It is HUGE .  compared the the Orion Skyblaster 6

For portability the Orion Skyblaster 6 works better for me, being my first scope

Later a 200 would be nice, and I can always use the 150 as my grab and go scope

thats my story and I am sticking to it  :)

But those HUGE scopes does seem to "shrink" a bit after a while. I thought my 6" was huge when I first got it, now it's my grab & go, so yes, when/if you upgrade later on, it makes sense to keep it. A 6” will show you plenty no doubt about that.

If portability is a big issue then you'll be happy with the 6", the Orion looks very compact. If it were a 6" dob you were buying instead, there wouldn't be much in it as it's the same length as the 8", the only difference is it's 2" wider, and a bit heavier of course.

I think if the 6" is more to your liking for portability and pocket, then it should be a good choice.

You can see a lot through a 4", but a 6" will be brighter, and go deeper.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Chris Hopson