Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possible to image TB145 Halloween asteroid?

Supposedly coming within 1.1 lunar distance - 310,000 miles / size 2000 ft diameter.  Doubt my equipment could pull it off but curious if possible / anyone will attempt?  Not sure how bright it is plus will be closest to me in middle of the daylight here. 

ML

It's expected to possibly reach magnitude 10 so no problems imaging it if you know where to point your scope. Tracking it is certainly going to be the 'tricky' bit (halloween pun intended :o)) It's going eat up a whole lot of sky throughout the day going at some pace.

More details here with more info on the asteroids path.

You actually notified me of a really interesting event - I'm grateful!

On Stellarium, it's visible all night long near Orion and peaks at Mag.10.3 or so (quite visible by cameras through most equipment). When it is closest, it moves so fast as to be like a high orbit satellite - races passed the Plough at a visible speed in real time.

It's a bit like that eclipse of Regulus last year, but this time visible everywhere and lasting longer.

Images may just be a dot, a blurred one at that. Nevertheless quite a rare dot.

Looking at Stellarium, my plan  is to catch it when it passes close to  n1-Ori at 3.30 on the morning of 31st.  i.e. start tracking on the star and record the asteroid's streak.  It's behind trees until then for me.  Puts the moon a bit close, but if it's clear (some hopes) I reckon it's very doable.  Think if I try to guide on it, I'll just miss it.

Archived