Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from a newbie

To_infinity_and_beyond

Hi all, after browsing this site many times over the years I've finally decided to make an account to prepare myself for buying my first telescope.

I may not be able to give much advice back to the community yet but hopefully in a few years time I can gather a fair amount of knowledge.

Anyways, speak soon.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI, To_infinity_and_beyond, welcome to SGL. Scope choice, this can as a beginner, become quite a headache, it simplifies matters if you have some idea what in the night sky you would like to point your telescope at, as there is no one scope that can cope successfully with the full range of objects that can be observed in the night sky. There is also the question of how big a hole do you want make in your pocket, the members will gladly spend your hard earned cash for you.

When you are ready, just post in the Beginners Help and guide sections for advice, I am sure you will be lost for choice, enjoy the forum :)

Hi Fellow Yamyam ;)

Welcome to SGL, hope you find it as useful as I have as a novice!

Enjoy and Clear Skies.

Rob

ey up, how ya doin mar mate? haha good to see a fellow yam yam here, out of curiosity do you get out with your scope much or do you use it in the garden? just trying to find places close to home that isnt too bad with light pollution.

HI, To_infinity_and_beyond, welcome to SGL. Scope choice, this can as a beginner, become quite a headache, it simplifies matters if you have some idea what in the night sky you would like to point your telescope at, as there is no one scope that can cope successfully with the full range of objects that can be observed in the night sky. There is also the question of how big a hole do you want make in your pocket, the members will gladly spend your hard earned cash for you.

When you are ready, just post in the Beginners Help and guide sections for advice, I am sure you will be lost for choice, enjoy the forum :)

thanks glowjet, iv already posted on the beginners section about which scope, looks like i made the right choice.

ey up, how ya doin mar mate? haha good to see a fellow yam yam here, out of curiosity do you get out with your scope much or do you use it in the garden? just trying to find places close to home that isnt too bad with light pollution.

Bostin mar mate, ta! ;)

I've only really used my scope outside my flat (out the front I have a patch of grass with a bit of tree cover for blocking a bit of light out) but I still get the inevitable street light, houses etc. It's the only way I can get a decent view of South and East. Have had some spectacular views of the moon and managed to catch a glimpse of the Mars, Venus, Jupiter conjunction which is breathtaking. (There's a thread about this event somewhere, with all the details you need).

The main thing I've learned so far is Patience. I had 6 nights of constant cloud cover on the bounce and I Was chomping at the bit to get out!

I highly recommend that you check out some of the threads on Eye Pieces and stuff like that and as previously mentioned by a few of the other guys, check out some of the threads about buying a scope, what you can expect to see and what scopes can do what. Everybody on here is far more qualified than myself to give you advice as like I said I'm only a beginner myself, but I've definitely felt the benefit from the advice everyone has given me and I think you would too.

Clear Skies an Good Luck!

Rob

Well my bro is also looking at buying his first scope, due to storage he can't have anything too big, he's stumbled across a used one that's a 130 on a go-to mount for 200. Not too sure what it is, can get details though.

Now I'm starting to wonder if a 200+ dob is too much to be lumping around. It's perfect for what I want to see but when it comes to going out its going to be hard work.

Is there anything that could pretty much match a 250p dob but more manoevreable in my price range of £400?

I'm going to have a good search tonight while I've got a few hours, can anyone give me any to look for just to give me an idea.

Don't want goto, would rather spend the extra cash on a better scope to start with. Sorry for all the questions...you know how it is

Archived