Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The great rift in the Soul nebula - IC1871

swag72

Thanks to FunkyKoval35 I now have the correct designation for this target! I like to think of it as a great rift running through the Soul - This perspective certainly gives that feel.

I've been working on this for an age it would seem. The weather in Spain has not been kind at all and I didn't gather as much data as I had planned as I'd given up hope and lost the will to live.

All comments welcome.

IC1871 is part of the Soul nebula (IC1848). Located in the constellation of Cassiopeia it is thought to be approximately 7500 light years from Earth. This is an emission nebula, so responds well to narrowband filters.

Details
Mount: Avalon LInear Fast Reverse
Telescope: Orion Optics ODK10
Camera: QSI683 ws-g with 3nm Ha, OIII and SII filters.

22x1800s Ha
17x1800s OIII
14x1800s SII
Totalling 25 hours and 30 minutes.

post-5681-0-76716600-1445776646_thumb.jp

You can see a higher res version here

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent work Sara, your framing and composition enhances the drama in this target.  Dark & brooding!

Fabulous image scale too - you must be pleased with the new ODK.

Is this target "officially" referred to as the Whirling Dervish Nebula as I've read elsewhere?

Have you resolved your Recovery/PHD2 issue?

Thanks guys for your comments they are much appreciated! :)

@Herra - It is no doubt flipped, I am very remiss at these things and just change them as I want LOL!!!!

@Barry - I need a nights clear to test' but I'm hoping that I've sorted out my issues by putting the Avalon StarGo back in the mount and ditching EQMOD. There's some conflicts between the programmes I am sure and friends are using everything with out issues without having EQMOD in the fold. Yes I think this is the whirling dervish as well :)

Thats a lovely Image Sara, ODK performing well.  At that image scale whole new view of the heavens available.

Be interesting of on that scale you could get some more sharpening out of it - not that it would improve image but more because I want to see what I can do when I get my 10" set up in few weeks :), be interesting to see how much extra detail will be available.

Look forward to the next images.

Paddy

Thats a lovely Image Sara, ODK performing well.  At that image scale whole new view of the heavens available.

Be interesting of on that scale you could get some more sharpening out of it - not that it would improve image but more because I want to see what I can do when I get my 10" set up in few weeks :), be interesting to see how much extra detail will be available.

Paddy

I didn't think I could get an awful lot more sharpening out of the main structures (I did try!!) 

Thanks Mick for looking and commenting :)

Cool - just trying to 'visually' educate myself as to how much is available.  I suspected you would not have left any stone over turned so that gives me a good benchmark with regards to setting my own expectations.

Need to start thinking about targets myself at that scale and how to dual image as well!  Feel a few questions are in the offing on that topic!

Paddy

Paddy

What - Another ODK waiting in the wings?  I'm going to have to check with Barry my place in the queue... :-)

ChrisH

What - Another ODK waiting in the wings?  I'm going to have to check with Barry my place in the queue... :-)

ChrisH

Had this scope here for nearly a year Chris and not an ODK.  Custom built job.  But never got round to using as had a few collimation issues which are now resolved.  Not been jumping any queues :)

Hopefully when obs is back up and running I can figure the dual imaging out.

Paddy

Had this scope here for nearly a year Chris and not an ODK.  Custom built job.  But never got round to using as had a few collimation issues which are now resolved.  Not been jumping any queues :)

Hopefully when obs is back up and running I can figure the dual imaging out.

Paddy

Ah, that's OK then Paddy, I'll let you off :-)  I now note your sig which actually says 10"RC...  I've been waiting 6 weeks and likely only half-way there. I do have an 8" Altair RC to play with but I'm not overly impressed with the results I'm getting with it.

Sorry, Sara, gone a bit OT - and did I mention your image is wonderful yet? because it surely is :-)

ChrisH

Archived