Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW! AstroArt V6 released.

Merlin66

Yep, just updated from my AA5 (free as AA5 was less than a year old) and having a look at the new features.

There is also a new service pack for those with AA5 who can't upgrade. Not sure what that service pack includes though.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah well , with the can of worms open here we go

AA6 does capture and guiding quite well and is easy to use ( Pixinsight does not do this ) AA6 also do preprocessing ( calibration and stacking ) is very fast and very easy to use

and gives good results , Pixinsight also does calibration and stacking and possibly gives better results , even though Pixinsight does benefit from a fast computer for this and is not as easy to use particularly

to the newbie .

AA6 also does some basic processing and you can get a presentable image from AA6 , here in processing ,Pixinsight is far more powerful than AA6 and has a lot of advanced features a choice of a lot people ( inc me )

So which is best !!!!!!!!!! neither get both :)  , but if I was starting out AA6 is great value and have no problem recommending it

Regards Harry

BTW I was a beta tester for AA6 and could little wrong with it an do know a major upgrade is in the pipeline for the camera control

I entirely agree with Harry. For me AA (Five in my case, for now) is the most intuitive, rapid and effective stacking and calibration programme I know of. I don't use it for processing. It leaves you wondering why other stacking and calibration software is so confusing and complicated and, in some cases, so agonizingly slow.

Olly

I have AA6 but don't use it for much, unless I'm missing an option somewhere it will not stack a set of subs part of which were taken on the other side of the mount (after meridian flip), whereas DSS is quite happy to read the FITs header and rotate the image to suit.

ChrisH

Hmm. After looking more closely I found it - change from 'automatic' and also change the rotation from 45 to 180deg.

• 1 month later...

I entirely agree with Harry. For me AA (Five in my case, for now) is the most intuitive, rapid and effective stacking and calibration programme I know of. I don't use it for processing. It leaves you wondering why other stacking and calibration software is so confusing and complicated and, in some cases, so agonizingly slow.

Olly

Olly,

I'm now researching software, what do you use for image processing if you don't use AA?

Thanks,

M

I liked Astroart when I was using one shot color ccd's, but it is not practical to use it for a sequence of color filters with a mono camera. You can do it, but you have to use scripts. I just want to tick a few boxes .... If it ever got good camera control for multi filters, I'd go back to it in a flash. Guiding works well, plate solving works well and pre processing is a breeze.

Gary

I liked Astroart when I was using one shot color ccd's, but it is not practical to use it for a sequence of color filters with a mono camera. You can do it, but you have to use scripts. I just want to tick a few boxes .... If it ever got good camera control for multi filters, I'd go back to it in a flash. Guiding works well, plate solving works well and pre processing is a breeze.

Gary

Hi

It is possible to a filter wheel sequence without scripts its under filter wheel - automatic sequence

still not great , but the camera interface is due a update soon

Harry

Hi

It is possible to a filter wheel sequence without scripts its under filter wheel - automatic sequence

still not great , but the camera interface is due a update soon

Harry

I look forward to that Harry - any idea how far away that is? I would be back to it in a flash if the camera control was updated. I still use it for most of my processing/pre processing and find it very fast and simple.

I found the help file regarding using a filter wheel to be very uninformative - it even says the automatic sequence is no longer recommended and doesn't explain how to use it fully...recommends scripts instead.

I currently use Sequence Generator Pro for acquisition as it is a piece of cake to set up a sequence in it....

cheers

Gary

Archived