Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noobie is this a black hole...?

marcgirdlestone

I heard there are meant to be 100 million black holes in the galaxy. But I'd imagine if there are, we could only see them if they obscured a star or gravitationally lensed the light.

To see the supermassive one at the centre of the milky way... you need 8.4m of aperture, 3000ft of altitude and an infra-red camera. And even then you only know it's there cause stuff's orbiting it!

I'd agree with xtreemchaos that it's likely a dark nebula like the horse head or the cygnus rift .

It is called a Black Hole because it has such immense gravitational pull that even light photons can not escape its gravity. I doubt if you could image it in conventional terms and you need to look for its effects. Gravitational lensing is one of them .Black nebulae or dust lanes are immense structures in their own right . You can draw your own conclusions.

Regards,

A.G

Archived