Narrowband

How does this 80ED/DSLR Master Flat frame look?

Xiga

Thats why I went full-specturm. My modding attempt left dust trapped beneath the filter glass so I ended up taking them all out and now I just clean the sensor directy (though not directly on the CMOS, but on its cover glass). I switch the camera on, hold it above my head (pointing down, so dust that is moved doesnt just land on another part of the sensor), flick it into live view - then use either the sensorclear pen (if its real mucky) or the rocket blower. Take a quick flat, if there is still some left I clean it again until satisfied.

Do you find any focus issues with full spectrum? I had one chance to try mine so far, and got the awful result below. I'm hoping the problem is caused by the mist not the IR failing to focus. It's made worse because I didn't realise that it had defaulted back to JPEG instead of RAW when I took the battery out :rolleyes:

post-43529-0-12618100-1446663633_thumb.j

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you go full spectrum, you need to use a UV/IR blocking filter. I use the Astronomik CCD CLS clip filter, which also doubles as a handy dust seal - so once youve cleaned it, it stays clean for a long time.

There are autofocus issues for daylight photography, but that can be overcome by stopping the lens down to about f11 and shooting at ISO800. Also, the colour balance is all a bit wrong so I stick to mono images for daytime photography.

I know, its a bit expensive :)  but its LP blocking capabilites are very good - and it has an excellent % pass for Ha and OIII (almost 100%), the only thing that might beat it is the Hutech - which costs even more! A cheaper altenative is the newer Baader Neodymium filters, which also block UV and IR (you need the 2" since they dont come as clip versions).

Archived