SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sir Patrick Moore's Estate

JamesM

Apologies if this has been posted up before but I recently came across this article in the Telegraph about Sir Patrick's estate that some of you might find interesting to read. It's quite lengthy but Brian May does a very good job in sensitively outlining both the difficulties and the solutions that both him and others had found in dealing with a huge legacy of work, papers, personal effects etc that someone as popular as Sir Patrick would inevitably generate.

Hope you enjoy reading it and that it answers some questions that you might have had.

Many thanks for that link James. I read about the recent auction where most of Patrick`s household things, candelabra,plates etc etc were being auctioned off and I did wonder about all his Astro stuff and what happened to it.

Its quite heartwarming to see that Brian and the others have taken on what must be a monumental task sorting out the great man`s things and the setting up of a Heritage trust will be an excellent reminder of Patrick.

I also think Patrick was very lucky to have friends like Brian,David,John and all the others who seemed to have carried out Patrick`s wishes with much care and thought.

Steve

Ive bookmarked the article. Its one of the most interesting,heart-warming and also sad things ive read for ages. It almost brought a tear to my eye because of how well SPM's life,times and work are going to be preserved...........and help others. There was never a doubt in my mind that his log books etc would not go to a museum of science. Great to hear his love of music is also going to live on.

Ive never had an opinion about Brian May as a person because i dont know much about him apart from the music (which i do like) and the fact that he also loves badgers. I find it AMAZING that he became SPM's landlord in the last couple of yrs of his life and basically let SPM live rent free. I completely understand Brians plans to to sell "Far Things"..........and donate the cash (or any amount of profit) to Chichester.

I did wonder why Brian went public with this, but having read it.............i understand. He is/was simply trying to preserve the memory of "the great man".

My hat is well and truly off to Brian and i now have a "newly discovered" respect for him. Also respect for the other executors of SPM's estate. It cant have been an easy job that they undertook. As ive said before...........i hope anyone who managed to buy a piece of SPM's estate at auction.........i hope it brings you yrs of enjoyment and memories. I personally would have loved the picture of SPM on a push bike cycling past the moon..........in the fashion of the movie E.T.

Any word on SPM's cat?. 

James...............big thanks for posting this as i would not have seen/read it elsewhere.

Archived